Organizers of Move New Haven, a $1 million study on New Haven’s public transportation system, recently decided to modify their data sampling process, extending the deadline of their first phase from Dec. 2 to 15.

Move New Haven — a collective effort of City Hall, the Connecticut government and the federal government — aims to “[develop] and [evaluate] alternative actions to improve the Greater New Haven regions’ transit system,” according to the website’s mission statement. Officially launched in October, the first phase includes a survey of New Haven residents in which respondents evaluate public transportation.

The survey asks Elm City residents which public transportation routes they use and their experiences with them. After asking participants to choose their common method of transit — such as the CT Transit busses, car and bicycle — the survey delves into specifics, such as the residents’ purpose and frequency of travel.

“Additionally, we’d like to find out where you have gone, where you would have gone and where you wouldn’t have gone,” said Doug Hausladen ’04, the director of transportation, traffic and parking in New Haven.

In the end, the survey will help public officials map out civilian travel choices to identify additional infrastructure needs for the city.

Move New Haven has been gathering data for the last three months and has already received over 600 responses. Project organizers have used social media and other forms of community outreach to promote the survey.

But last week during a meeting between the organizers and community representatives, a community member asked for the survey window to be extended. The organizers agreed, in hopes of receiving even more responses, especially from members of college communities.

“We are especially focusing on the college crowd, such as the staff, professional students, etc,” Hausladen said.

The project has extended the survey deadline by two weeks, so the deadline is now Dec. 15. But beginning in late December, analysts will start to look at the responses from the survey and compare them to existing data sets. The data will then be used to pave the path for the second phase of the project, when collective teams will form recommendations for future transportation systems in New Haven.

ELAINE WANG