Rae Na Lee ’19, an undergraduate from Seoul, South Korea, died Friday morning at her home in New Haven. Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway notified the campus community of Lee’s passing in a message on Friday afternoon. Lee was 20 years old.

Lee, a member of Calhoun College and the Yale fencing team, was not currently enrolled in Yale College. She is survived by her husband and her parents.

We know that this news, coming as it does during a week with other loss and sadness on our campus, resonates deeply within our community,” Holloway wrote in his email.

Shortly after Holloway’s announcement, Calhoun College Head Julia Adams sent an email to Calhoun students inviting them to gather at her house between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. Friday, where she will be joined by Calhoun Dean April Ruiz. Adams has also invited Yale College Dean of Student Affairs Camille Lizarribar and a chaplain from the chaplain’s office to join the gathering.  

“Our hearts go out to [Lee’s] family and her friends, and to our entire Calhoun community,” Adams wrote.

Members of the University’s mental health and counseling will be available at 55 Lock Street until 11 p.m. this evening, and a counselor will be on call full-time at (203) 432-0123. Heads of College will be reaching out to students to organize gatherings of support.

AYLA BESEMER
ISHAAN SRIVASTAVA