The No. 14 men’s ice hockey team  (14–8–4, 9–7–3 ECAC)  used three power play goals to cruise past Harvard (9–13–4, 5–10–4 ECAC) in Cambridge, Mass. by a score of 5–2.

The Bulldogs were held scoreless in the first period thanks to the Crimson’s relentless forecheck. The Elis regrouped in the second period and opened the scoring on a tight angle shot by center Stu Wilson ’16 on the power play 4:37 into the second frame. Just five minutes later, defenseman Gus Young ’14 did well to find forward Matt Beattie ’16 all alone on the opposite blue line, where the Canucks’ draft pick dipsy-doodled around Harvard goaltender Steve Michalek and found the net for a 2–0 Yale lead.

It did not take long for the Bulldogs to find a further breakthrough after defenseman Ryan Obuchowski ’16 was left wide open on the backside of a power play and deposited the puck in the goal for Yale’s third unanswered score. The blue-liner, who capitalized after drawing a charging penalty, has registered nine points in the last eight games. The third period exhibited four more goals, with captain Jesse Root’s ’14 tally halfway through the frame on the power play sandwiched between two Harvard power play goals.

The Crimson put the Elis under significant pressure in the closing stages, but Root, who had a three-point night, killed the game off after scoring an empty net goal with 38 seconds remaining. Goaltender Alex Lyon ’17 looked confident in net, steering aside 29 shots in the win.

Coupled with Clarkson’s 5–0 loss to No. 3 Union, the Bulldogs have moved into sole position of fifth place in the ECAC standings, just one point behind No. 13 Cornell, which beat No. 5 Quinnipiac 2-1 in Hamden, Conn. Yale heads north to face Dartmouth, which has won three straight after beating Brown 2–1 in overtime.

FREDERICK FRANK