Adding a line to a resumé that also includes stints as a vice presidential candidate and as a Democrat, former U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman ’64 LAW ’67 went public on Thursday as the new chairman of a Chicago-based private equity firm, Victory Park Capital.

Lieberman, who served 23 years in the Senate before calling it quits in January 2013, is senior counsel at Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman, a New York-based commercial litigation firm. He also serves as co-chair of the American Enterprise Institute’s American Internationalism Project, an initiative aimed at building bipartisan consensus surrounding U.S. leadership and engagement abroad. 

“Sen. Lieberman’s business acumen and deep policy background will be critical as we position for future growth,” Richard Levy, Victory Park Capital’s founder and managing partner said in a Thursday statement. “In today’s heightened regulatory environment, his extensive legislative knowledge will help us navigate an increasingly complex marketplace.”

The asset management firm specializes in investments in middle and lower-middle market companies, underwriting acquisitions, buyouts and product development, according to Bloomberg Businessweek. The firm’s website says that it has made investments totaling more than $1.5 billion since 2007.

Lieberman said in Thursday’s release that his work at Victory Park Capital grows out of his work in the Senate, where he “fought for policies that would allow small businesses to thrive.”

ISAAC STANLEY-BECKER