Toni Harp

Mayoral candidate Toni Harp and supporters. Photo by Tasnim Elboute.

The summer may be over, but flashy, unpaid internships are here to stay, thanks to the New Haven mayoral race.

With less than a month before the general election, the two candidates vying to lead the city are offering Yale students the chance to gain grassroots political experience and organizing expertise — and, yes, to build their resumés.

Toni Harp ARC ’78 put out a call on Sunday for Yale students interested in working as interns and volunteers for her campaign.

“This will be a great opportunity for politically active Yale undergrads to play a crucial and potentially lasting role in the New Haven political arena,” R. Sam Chaney, director of field operations for the Harp campaign, said in the release. Students will become part of the “growing and exciting Yale for Toni Harp team,” he added.

The program is the counterpart to a effort launched by Harp opponent Justin Elicker FES ’10 SOM ’10 last month. Calling the positions campaign “fellowships,” the Elicker camp offered roughly 10 students, mainly freshmen and sophomores, the opportunity to lead organizing efforts on specific parts of campus and to help conduct the campaign’s social media strategy by writing tweets and Facebook statuses.

Much of the news Yalies receive about the mayoral campaign already comes from the Facebook page of Drew Morrison ’14, an ardent Elicker support who — together with Sam Ward-Packard ’14, Rachel Miller ’15 and Rafi Bildner ’16 — have established a highly visible Elicker campaign presence on campus.

The general election is on Nov. 5.

ISAAC STANLEY-BECKER