The Yale men’s squash team (12-5, 5-2 Ivy) proved it has the ability to compete next year against top teams when rookie Sam Fenwick ’16 defeated Trinity’s No. 1.

The No. 4 men’s squash team sent eight players to compete in the CSA Individual Championships at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn., over the weekend. By the end of the first day, all of the Elis had been knocked down to the consolation brackets, but not without putting up a fight.

“The tournament was great,” Kenneth Chan ’13 said. “Fenwick played really well the first round to pull an upset. Everyone played hard but we were all outmatched.”

The lineup for Yale in the top division, also known as the Pool Division, included Fenwick, Zachary Leman ’16, Neil Martin ’14, Chan and Richard Dodd ’13. This division featured the nation’s top 32 players and determined the top player in the nation. Todd Harrity of Princeton scored his second national title in his collegiate career.

“The Yale men didn’t have a great tournament at individuals this weekend, but that was to be expected,” Eric Caine’14 said. “Our team’s strength is our depth, and this tournament only rewards individual achievement.”

In the first division, Fenwick pulled off the upset of the day by defeating Trinity’s No. 1 player, Reinhold Hergeth. Fenwick normally plays at No. 5 for Yale but was able to overcome his seed by defeating Hergeth in four sets. His win over the Trinity Bantam propelled him into the round of 16, where he was ousted by Cornell’s No. 1, Nicholas Sachvie, in three sets.

Chan also fell in the round of 16, losing to Rochester’s Andres Duany after defeating another Rochester player earlier on in the day. Leman, Martin and Dodd all lost in the first round.

Fenwick said the tournament showed him that he has a long way to go.

In the B division, or the Molloy Cup, Joseph Roberts ’15, Caine and Charlie Wyatt ’14 all competed. Caine and Wyatt both made it to the second round of the first day of play. Caine defeated Gray Riley of MIT and Wyatt arrived with a bye, though they then lost to Franklin Marshall’s Pedro Almeida and Drexel’s Justin Singh, respectively. Roberts was knocked out by Connecticut College’s Caleb Garza.

“We are losing our seniors, the top three players in our team — it is going to be tough to replace them,” Fenwick said. “Therefore, for myself, my goal is to step up and try to replicate what they have achieved this season and over their four years.”

The CSA Individual Championship was the last event of the season for the Bulldogs.