Human rights activist and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi will be on campus later this month, University President Richard Levin announced in a Wednesday email.

On Sept. 27, Suu Kyi will speak at Sprague Hall in a visit sponsored by the Chubb Fellowship, which has sponsored numerous high-profile speakers since its inception in 1949. The leader of the Burmese opposition party, Suu Kyi was under house arrest for nearly 15 years before her most recent release in November 2010. Suu Kyi is currently a member of the Burmese parliament.

“Knowing the honors that will be paid to her during her upcoming visit to the United States, I am proud that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has chosen to accept our invitation to come to Yale,” Levin said in the press release. “We look forward to celebrating her unflagging heroism and her commitment to democracy, human rights, the rule of law, and ethnic conciliation by peaceful means.”

Suu Kyi’s address will run from 11:30 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. on Sept. 27 in Sprague Hall. Tickets will be available on the second floor of Woolsey Hall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 19 and 20.

Read more about her life and visit in Levin’s email, reprinted below:

September 5, 2012

To: The Yale Community

From: Richard C. Levin

I am pleased and honored to announce that on Thursday, September 27, Yale University will host a public address by one of the world’s most extraordinary advocates for international human rights and democratic governance, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is a Nobel Prize Laureate and currently is a member of the Burmese parliament, where she also chairs the National League for Democracy in Burma. Her compelling personal history and long, non-violent advocacy for the democratic evolution of Burma serve as a powerful inspiration to others around the world. Since being released from house arrest in November 2010, she has continued to participate directly in Burma’s political transition and re-engagement with the international community.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi will visit Yale under the auspices of the Chubb Fellowship, one of the highest honors accorded to a visiting speaker. The Fellowship is administered by the Master of Timothy Dwight College, currently Jeffrey Brenzel, who is also the Dean of Admissions for Yale College. Since 1949, Chubb Fellows have included former U.S. Presidents, numerous heads of state, and prominent public figures in government, industry, and the arts.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi will deliver a public university address from 11:30 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. on September 27 in the Sprague Hall auditorium, located at 470 College Street. Those interested in attending may obtain a ticket with a valid Yale ID on the following two dates and locations:

Wednesday September 19, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Second Floor of Woolsey Hall*

Thursday, September 20, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Second Floor of Woolsey Hall

Knowing the honors that will be paid to her during her upcoming visit to the United States, I am proud that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has chosen to accept our invitation to come to Yale. We look forward to celebrating her unflagging heroism and her commitment to democracy, human rights, the rule of law, and ethnic conciliation by peaceful means.