Administrators believe Yale did not violate Title IX, Miller says

Yale College Dean Mary Miller said that administrators believe they have not violated Title IX in a Wednesday night email to parents of undergraduates.

“We believe we have been in compliance with both the letter and the spirit of Title IX,” she wrote, “and we plan to cooperate fully with the OCR’s inquiry.”

The message came shortly after Miller sent an email to students about the federal investigation into allegations of a hostile sexual climate at Yale.

Read the full text of her message to parents below.

Dear Yale College Parents:

Many of you have seen the recent news reports regarding a complaint that was filed against Yale University with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR), alleging that Yale is in violation of Title IX. Yale has received formal notification of OCR’s intention to investigate, although at this point we do not have any specific information about the timing or scope of the investigation. We believe we have been in compliance with both the letter and the spirit of Title IX, and we plan to cooperate fully with the OCR’s inquiry.

I can also say that what I have heard about the substance of the complaint does not reflect the Yale that I know. Moreover, as a student who helped to co-educate my undergraduate institution; as an academic who has both experienced sexism and championed diversity and equality in my field; and as a parent, the developments of the last few days have troubled me professionally and personally. I plan to ensure that the University takes this complaint as an opportunity for self-examination, and as a chance to learn and improve. Just as Yale does not and will not tolerate sexual misconduct, we must continue to nurture a culture of civility and inclusion where every member of our community feels safe and secure.

I hope I have been able to provide some reassurance. I have already communicated with Yale College students, and plan to be in regular touch with them throughout this investigation. Similarly, I have reached out to all Yale College faculty to enlist their continued attention in creating a supportive learning environment for their students. I will also provide periodic updates to you as the process moves forward. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to be in touch.

Regards,

Mary Miller

Dean of Yale College

Sterling Professor of History of Art

*continue to nurture a culture of civility and inclusion*

“Continue” ?

By what possible stretch of the imagination can permitting the marchers in the “”No means anal” parade to attend classes for ONE DAY without writing **personal letters of apology to the women in the serenaded residence halls**, be considered “continu[ing] to nurture a culture of civility and inclusion”? There’s nothing there in the first place to “continue”.

I’m all for FREE SPEECH, but yelling “Fire” in a crowded theatre seems a twin of yelling “No means anal” in front a crowded residence of women whose body language is clearly saying “NO”.

BTW

Doesn’t the syllogism run thusly: If No means Yes and Yes means anal, then No means anal ?

• HighStreet2010

I don’t know, maybe if someone had a blog entry with all the answers that I could just easily consult…

• McGuire

Jesus, Keane… give it a rest.

This debate has been an open wound in American literature for over half a century, and apparently no one has learned a darn thing from it.

Hear Holden Caulfield’s confusion as he writes from a sanitarium in 1950, probably recuperating from an emotional breakdown of some sort which he experienced in 1949 whe he was 16 years old:

The thing is , most of the time when you’re coming pretty close to doing it with a girl — a girl that isn’t a prostitute or anything, I mean — she keeps telling you to stop. The trouble with me is, I stop. Most guys don’t I can’t help it. You never know whether they really want you to stop, or whether they’re just scared as hell , or whether they’re just telling you to stop so that if you do go through with it, they’ll blame it on you , not them . . . They tell me to stop, so I stop. (Salinger, p. 92) “The Catcher in the Rye”

It seems no clearer 61 years later what society wants from males interacting with females.

• y10alum

“Yelling “Fire” in a crowded theatre seems a twin of yelling “No means anal” in front a crowded residence of women whose body language is clearly saying “NO”.”

Can you explain how the analogy maps?

Both threaten the “quiet enjoyment of the premises” and both are incendiary.

• Branford73

No, no, Mr. Keane, though kudos for the “incendiary” joke. The reason that yelling “fire” in a crowded theater is not protected speech is that the act may create a stampede to the exits causing injury. It is not the hurt to feelings that is being protected but the physical harm of being trampled. If there is a case at all for regulating the offensive chant in question it is that it was meant to and caused intimidation and fear and was not political speech or artistic expression. I doubt the intent was artistic expression but it does have the earmarks of performance art on the scale of Aliza Shvarts’ project for provoking campus-wide and national reactions.

• Pingback: click here