Families in the Elm City who were hit hard by the recent economic recession will be receiving federal aid to get back on their feet.

Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, the Connecticut representative from the third district, announced last week that approximately $69,000 will be allocated to residents of New Haven. This grant is part of a larger grant totaling $123,914, the remainder of which will go to residents of Derby,

Conn. The grant will also fund the “Family Self Sufficiency Program,” which seeks to assist families in New Haven who have been having a tough time to re-establish themselves as members of the work force.

“These critical funds will help those who are struggling, especially during these tough economic times, by providing individuals with the skills and experience they need to find a job and earn a living wage.” DeLauro said.

To be eligible to partake in the program, a resident must be enrolled in a Public Housing Authority, the organization that directly receives the funding, according to the federal government grants website. Once the authority has received the funding, it may be used to “enable participating families to increase earned income and financial literacy, reduce or eliminate the need for welfare assistance, and make progress toward economic independence and self-sufficiency,” the site states.

DeLauro said the program will help families by coordinating with welfare agencies, schools and businesses.

“I am very pleased that Derby and New Haven have been awarded these grants, and I look forward to seeing their positive impacts,” she said.

DeLauro’s press secretary, Kaelan Richards, said DeLauro is also in favor of increasing and improving the quality of affordable housing throughout her legislative district, and supports programs like the Housing Choice Voucher Family Self Sufficiency Program grants, which help families develop important economic tools and job skills.

The New Haven grant is a federal housing grant and will be enacted immediately.

MOHAMMAD SALHUT