Briefly: New Haven sees shooting within two blocks of Yale campus

New Haven saw another shooting within two blocks of Yale’s campus Wednesday.

Two days after the violent mugging behind Pierson College, and less than a week since a shooting at Toad’s Place sent two sent to the hospital, one man was shot in broad daylight at 161 Whalley Ave., the site of the old Shaw’s supermarket, and two blocks from Payne Whitney Gym. An 18-year-old male was shot in his hand through the window of his vehicle Wednesday afternoon. The New Haven Police department Major Crimes Unit has begun investigating the incident, but NHPD Chief Frank Limon said Wednesday night that the department has reached dead-ends on the investigations of multiple recent shootings near Yale’s campus.

“The victims are just not cooperating,” he said, explaining that recent shooting victims have walked into hospitals, received treatment and then refused to answer any police questions.

Yale Police Department Spokesman Steven Woznyk told the News on Tuesday that the department had doubled its patrols in response to a recent rash of nearby violence that now includes five separate shootings, and the muggin earlier this week.

But even with doubled manpower, the YPD must account for shootings that have spanned the northern half of the campus, from near Ingalls Rink and 25 Science Park to the back gate of Pierson College.

“I definitely think New Haven has gotten more dangerous recently,” Hill resident and Gateway Community College student Steven “Smokez” Echols said Wednesday night. “The city is like that because kids have nothing better to do than shoot people.”

Although investigations into many shootings have reached dead-ends, New Haven’s most recent murder — the death of Mitchell Dubey in Newhallville during a home invasion — may soon see an arrest. Limon hinted Wednesday night that the NHPD would announce new developments in the case on Thursday.­

It is no longer worth my trying to persuade folks that there is a fundamental anger and envy in New Haven toward Yale privilege which makes poverty even more intolerable than it would otherwise be.

It is the ARCHITECTURAL JUXTAPOSITION of the Ivy League Versailles with the Dixwell/Goffe/Whalley/Elm street ghetto which grates on people’s daily lives.

Before it was bastardized by Hip-Hop jargon, the word “ghetto ” used to mean (Wikipedia):

A ghetto is a section of a city occupied by a group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure. The term ghetto was originally used in Venice to describe the area where Jews were compelled to live. A ghetto is now described as an overcrowded urban area often associated with a specific ethnic or racial population.[1]

• Sara

Anti-Yale: A ghetto is a socially isolated area that is ripe for “social exclusion.” It may or may not have poverty. Inequality, resource inadequacy and isolation causes lack of opportunity, violence (due to psychosocial factors) and further decay.

The worst ghettos in the US are in Detroit, NYC, Milwaukee and Chicago, if you look at the level of isolation.

• timemachinist

Its not the architecture of course, its class society. But most people historically have accepted class society as inevitable. Maybe once we admit as a nation that the USA , for all our cherished mobility, is nonetheless a class society, then we could begin to make some institutional accomodations for the working class as possessing certain rights rather than as the losers of a free market competition with only themselves to blame. Our society needs groceries to be bagged and floors to be swept –great pyramids require their bottom bricks as much as their tops and every block therefore has a certain equality.

What would this mean in the USA? Fundamentally it would bring us to mandating a living minimum wage for adults, a full employment policy, national health insurance and a social security system strong enough to guarantee a dignified retirement for all. It would mean quality public education in a society that genuinely offered opportunity and a place for all.

Utopian dreams, I know. Greed and envy, tribalism and cultural intolerance, and the legacy of individualist frontier mentality and the antistatist market ideology it supports….pretty much condemn us to another century of the same fragmented (even atomized) society of global elites running the giant corporations on behalf of their shareholders and the rest of us competing to be among the portion of society that still prospers in such vicious competition of unequal starting points.

All that said, I can’t help but still apply a moral standard of behavior that no individual should violate: violating the person or property of others. In the Autobiography of Malcolm X I remember reading about that awakening within him while in prison that he could make better choices for himself and his race, and he went on to lead towards uplift within his own community, and eventually to overcoming his (NOI’s) separatist ideology and embracing the universal human spirit in anyone willing to oppose injustice or exploitation. In other words, human solidarity is the answer, and we should evaluate our guiding social principles by whether or not they promote or erode human solidarity.

“Its not the architecture of course, its class society”

Yale’s palatial architecture is an upraised middle finger to the poor of New Haven. Of course it IS ARCHITECTURE, and it is frozen there, 24/7/365: a middle-finger in your face.

• 201Y1

You’re right, guys, we should really just tear Yale down and build something that doesn’t look so nice. Obviously that’s the root of all this violence. How inconsiderate of us to build beautiful gothic buildings in what became a poor city after their construction! Man we suck.

Modern Yale egalitarians are a trifle naive.

When my parents were young (circa 1920) Yale students used to bring their butler with them to college to wait on them (the old campus rooms were arranged to accommodate the servants who attended the students.)

Yale students were FORBIDDEN TO DATE New Haven girls.
    Yale built iuts gothic palaces by importing an entire town of stonecutters from Italy ( a town named “Esposito” as the local story goes ) and that is why not a day goes by in the New Haven Register when an “Esposito” does not appear on its obituary page.

And let’s not even mention the slaves who worked on building the campus—-and Geronimo and his skull.

Yale behaved like a planet, around which everyone else orbitted: women, servants, townies, American Indians, slaves, even entire towns in Italy.