Briefly: Tweed receives funding

The State Bond Commission voted Friday in favor of a $4.25 million deal for New Haven’s Tweed Airport that will promote expansion of the airport’s runway.

East Haven Mayor April Capone and New Haven Mayor John DeStefano have finalized the deal, which will distribute $1.5 million to East Haven and $2.75 million to New Haven, and said they hope the funding will help with the poor fiscal situations in both cities.

“Money will make a tremendous difference to the people of East Haven,” Capone said, adding that the East Haven’s deficit currently stands at $5.19 million.

Still, the deal has not been received positively in both cities.

Capone said that while New Haven officials said that the expansion of the airport is essential for attracting larger aircrafts and more traffic, many East Haven residents contend the deal will negatively affect the residential neighborhoods in the area.

• vgperrelli54

I am hopeful that Tweed is finally on the right road to being the airport it SHOULD be. I find it laughable that the opposition always paints Yale as being behind the airport’s expansion when:
    A.) Yale folk the like of Prof. James Cameron are forever kvetching that the airport’s subsidy is too much, despite cuts from the city and the state,
    B.) Yale Transit won’t serve the airport because “the demand isn’t there,”
    C.) the vast majority of Yalies fly out of Bradley or the New York airports,
    D.) the vast majority of football personalities attending the Walter Camp Dinner every winter don’t use Tweed.
    It is gratifying that Yale’s Mark Volchek is involved with the airport and that his efforts are finally paying off.
    As for East Haven mayor Capone’s comments that the deal will negatively affect the area, well, the alternative is to tear up the agreement with New Haven mayor DeStefano and go ahead with a court suit that
    1.) You have no financial resources to carry out, adding to the town’s deficit, and
    2.) You stand little if any chance of winning.
    She certtainly thought the deal was good two years ago. Now she wants to move the goal posts because the airport continues to improve despite what she thought were significant roadblocks she added.
    Maybe, after the airport improves and East Haven realizes the befefits to be derived (you don’t hear folks in Windsor Locks or Enfield being bitter about Bradley), maybe then she’ll revert to type and be taking the bows for “her” work.

• harbinger

Tweed serves no purpose beyond the what it is now. The demand from the local market isn’t there, never mind the very vocal minority. There isn’t any real profit in it for the airlines. Comparing Bradley to Tweed is pointless, as Tweed will never provide the level of service that Bradley does. With TF Green, Bradley, White Plains and the New York airports, what purpose does Tweed serve? There’s New London airport and Sikorsky in Stratford, neither has much of a purpose either. Yale Transit doen’t go to Tweed because it’s outside their operating area. And the vast majority of Yalies do happen to fly out of the major airports that actually have service to places people go. Tweed is barely surviving as it is, building it bigger when there is no market is just a nice way to reward a few special ineterest with their own private airport. You want it so bad Perrelli? You fund it privately. I’m syre if there’s as much interest as you say shareholders and investors will be falling over eachother to fund this future moneymaker. Just leave the taxpayers out of it. Tweed has been on life support since the 70′s and the plug should have been pulled long ago.

• vgperrelli54

The reason I don’t “fund it privately” is that public facilities such as airports don’t (or can’t) take private monies. And Yale Transit told me personally in an e-mail that “the demand isn’t there.” I’ve seen Dartmouth buses at Manchester’s airport, which is much farther apart than Tweed is from Yale. And, once again, Tweed’s opponents (whom I might add, include Yale employees who took advantage of the University’s homeowner program,) get a free pass from you. If something should be closed down because it’s a “moneyloser,” then you would have to include not only Metro-North and Amtrak, but the U.S. Postal Service as well. And, speaking of moneylosers, wait until the state finishes the New Haven-Springfield rail corridor, projected by the state’s own Department Of Transportation to lose $13 MILLION A YEAR without “public subsidy.” All for your precious Bradley Airport. No, don’t tell ME the market isn’t there; 85% of New Haven County makes up 15% of Bradley’s market. That’s money that should be staying down here. News flash, “harbinger”: The food they eat in Windsor Locks doesn’t fill our stomachs downstate. I stand by Tweed.