University President Richard Levin announced the appointment of Edwin C. Schroeder as Librarian of the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library and Associate University Librarian in an e-mail to the Yale community this afternoon. Schroeder, who has worked as a catalog librarian at Sterling Memorial Library since his arrival at Yale in 1989, will serve a five-year term effective Jan. 1.

Schroeder’s appointment comes weeks after the death of Frank Turner, who had been University Librarian and head of the Beinecke.

“E.C. looks forward to building on Frank Turner’s accomplishments,” Levin said in the e-mail. “We look forward to sustaining the unique excellence of the Beinecke, and I know you will all join me in welcoming E.C. Schroeder to his new position.”

Schroeder brings an “impressive breadth of rare book and managerial experience to his new position,” Levin added. Schroeder has been Head of Technical Services for the Beinecke since 2004, and he has held positions of increasing responsibility at the library throughout his time at Yale, including chair of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section of the Associate of College and Research Libraries. Through these positions, Schroeder has demonstrated skill in prioritizing budget, connecting with international consortiums and digitizing works.

Pericles Lewis, English professor, chaired a search committee of twelve professors and Yale administrators. The committee chose Schroeder unanimously out of a several “outstanding internal candidates,” Levin said.

Schroeder earned an MS in Library Science at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 1989.