Briefly: Students try to save Teacher Prep

1119_STANDALONE_burt_teachersprep-31-2_P
Photo by David Burt.

The decision to cut the Teacher Preparation and Education Studies Program has left some Yale juniors in the middle of a two-year program they will not get to finish.

Fourteen students met in the Morse College common room Thursday to discuss ways to encourage the administration to keep the program.

At the meeting, the group decided to collect testimony from current students, graduates of the program, and members of the New Haven community about why they value the Teacher Preparation Program. They said they hope to compile this information and submit a report to the administration before the end of the semester.

Students in the meeting also brainstormed ideas for an event they would hold after Thanksgiving break to raise awareness about the loss of the program.

“I’ve already committed a lot of time to the program,” said Nico Casasanto ’12, who was pursuing certification in secondary education. “In terms of my Yale career, this has really thrown a wrench in the spokes.”

Casasanto is one of only a few students pursuing certification — none of the 18 seniors in the undergraduate program are getting certified. Yale College Dean Mary Miller said an interview Wednesday that low interest in certification factored heavily into the decision to eliminate the program.

But students at Thursday’s meeting said the program is valuable even to those who do not get certified.

“The program isn’t designed for certification only,” said Sean Beckett ’12. “It is designed to make students think critically about schools and teaching, and to learn about how to become a better teacher.”

Over the next week, students will begin contacting Teacher Preparation Program students and New Haven teachers for the report.

• River Tam

I am appalled that Yale wouldn’t at least let juniors finish the program.

What’s it matter?

Guru Bill Gates in today’s NYT advocates removing pay raises for master degrees and years served as a teacher. The New Reich has as its emblem: T4:

Teach

To

The

Test.

RIP Classroom creativity and spontaneity.

• ARoberts

The Yale Teacher Prep program was one of the reasons that I remained at Yale during considerations to transfer. I found its classes and, especially, its teachers refreshing. The program renewed my desire to engage, learn and sparked my desire to teach. I would love if the students working to sway the university’s decision to cancel the program would contact me.

• anon214

The decision to put an end to Yale’s teacher training programs comes at a time when national reports are coming out calling for teacher prep programs to be revamped in order to look, rather conveniently, just like the one that Yale offered. Too many programs, these reports argue, don’t offer teaching candidates enough time in the classroom; that’s why Yale’s program offered 13 months of field experience. Too many programs, they argue, accept an unqualified talent pool; that’s why Yale sought to bring high-performing future teachers to New Haven. Yale’s program was ahead of its time: it exceeds the new criteria for teacher-prep programs being called for. As Yale accepts its place as the only Ivy that doesn’t train teachers, I hope the university’s decision-makers realize that it is passing on the chance to further develop a model program that I sincerely hope lives on elsewhere.
    For more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703670004575616870109644584.html?mod=ITP_pageone_1