The decision to cut the Teacher Preparation and Education Studies Program has left some Yale juniors in the middle of a two-year program they will not get to finish.

Fourteen students met in the Morse College common room Thursday to discuss ways to encourage the administration to keep the program.

At the meeting, the group decided to collect testimony from current students, graduates of the program, and members of the New Haven community about why they value the Teacher Preparation Program. They said they hope to compile this information and submit a report to the administration before the end of the semester.

Students in the meeting also brainstormed ideas for an event they would hold after Thanksgiving break to raise awareness about the loss of the program.

“I’ve already committed a lot of time to the program,” said Nico Casasanto ’12, who was pursuing certification in secondary education. “In terms of my Yale career, this has really thrown a wrench in the spokes.”

Casasanto is one of only a few students pursuing certification — none of the 18 seniors in the undergraduate program are getting certified. Yale College Dean Mary Miller said an interview Wednesday that low interest in certification factored heavily into the decision to eliminate the program.

But students at Thursday’s meeting said the program is valuable even to those who do not get certified.

“The program isn’t designed for certification only,” said Sean Beckett ’12. “It is designed to make students think critically about schools and teaching, and to learn about how to become a better teacher.”

Over the next week, students will begin contacting Teacher Preparation Program students and New Haven teachers for the report.