Women’s Center to hold forum on offensive chants

After DKE members shouted offensive chants as part of an initiation process Wednesday night, the Women’s Center announced it will hold a forum to address the incident on Friday. Members of DKE, as well as Yale college Dean Mary Miller and Dean of Student Affairs Marichal Gentry, have said they will participate in the discussion, the Center said.

Around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday night on Old Campus, students were heard chanting phrases such as “No means yes, yes means anal” and “My name is Jack, I’m a necrophiliac, I f— dead women.”

The students, some of whom were blindfolded and being led in a line with their hands on each others’ shoulders, were also heard chanting “My name is Jack, I’m a necrophiliac, I f— dead women.”

The Women’s Center deemed the actions “hate speech” and “an active call for sexual violence” in an e-mail to the News.

The Center sent out e-mails condemning the incident, and within hours accounts of the event were circulating on panlists throughout the undergraduate community

• YaleMom

We should require all students to attend! The hatred must be stopped!

• wtf

I agree with Prof3. Ignore them, and they’ll go away. You can’t take every idiot seriously, especially not the ones who will end up running the country some day.

• spiderjerk2

@YaleMom: I really like you. You are funny.

• Prof3

OK, take my comment off. But it’s true. You don’t say that kind of mess if you’re packin’.

• Yammertol

I think it’s really shameful of DKE to be infringing on the rights of the necrophiliacs, sodomites and incestuous among us. All three are valid forms of sexual self-expression and gender performance, and we should punish the men of DKE for considering these behaviors shameful and publicly mocking them. I shudder to think that some day Yale might no longer be the sort of place where a med student can sodomize his dead mother in his free time without being publicly mocked for it. Down this path, men of DKE, lies PURITANISM.

• FailBoat

Also, the “no means yes, yes means anal” line was a tired joke in high school. Do you really know any DKE brothers who would actually rape someone? I don’t.

It was a joke in poor taste. Leave it to Yale to blow the incident out of proportion.

(How is necrophilia sexual violence? It’s the least violent sexual act possible.)

• Tanya

*”Do you really know any DKE brothers who would actually rape someone? I don’t.”*

I don’t know anyone that’s ever seriously told me they’d rape someone. If they did, I’d probably report them to the police. Men who might rape someone someday aren’t just going to go around telling you. In fact this incident is probably the closest any woman will ever be to being sure that someone is a potential rapist. Short of being on a sex offender registry.

I wonder if any of the young freshmen women who heard a mob of men chanting NO MEANS YES, YES MEANS ANAL were frightened enough to consider transferring. They’ve only been away from home a couple of months and already it’s clear that should they find themselves alone with a DKE guy, it wont matter if you want it or not. Someone should check local shops and see if they’re sold out of pepper spray yet. Too bad women have to arm themselves against predators rather than being able to count on the administration to punish these guys in any way.

• kcurry4151

Here’s a question. Do any of you, instigators, participants, apologists, or commentators, love a woman? Wife, sister, mother, [potential] daughter? Is it fine with you that rape and forcible sodomy are fine with Yale men? Do you really think that the Women’s Center has over-reacted? Try this for over-reaction: every member of every fraternity at Yale gets a tattoo, across the chest, with a URL that links to a website that describes this travesty. Live with it. Try to explain it to the women in your life. If Darwin was right, our next generation might just be a little better than the previous.

• MohawkMonk87

What the Women’s Center says about DKE is largely irrelevant on account of the fact that they have no influence with women who feed frat culture generally. Does anyone else find it stunning that these groups periodically call the same people they want at their parties vulgar names: with accompanying threats of violence, and they still get high turnouts from said people at their parties (which, really, let’s be honest is the only reason why frats exist)?

Forums are useless, high political rhetoric is useless; this is not an issue of political equality or the (largely fabricated) war of the sexes. This is an issue of depravity on the part of both genders who fuel frat culture.

Undergrads, from someone who has already put in their four years for the BA, let me cut my preaching short and just say that you have the power to end these groups (and to lead happier lives potentially) without help from petitions, administrators, or the university. Reject the hookup culture, reject alcohol as the exclusive center of your social outings, establish close friendships and romantic relationships that are not based on these two self destructive elements of undergraduate society and the frats will become non-factors.