The men’s soccer team continued non-league play last night when they tied the Quinnipiac Bobcats 0-0 in double-overtime. The Elis played their second double-overtime game in a row last night, and the third of the season so far. After coming out of Saturday night’s game with their first win of the season, it was disappointing for the Bulldogs to play a 110-minute scoreless game last night. The Bulldogs (1-5-1) tied the Bobcats (0-4-1) in a relatively messy game.

“From the observers perspective it might have been viewed as an ugly game of sorts, but it was a competitive one,” defender Chris Dennen ’11 said. “Both sides had their chances but neither one took advantage of them.”

The Bulldogs, who have been struggling offensively so far this season due in part to injury, continued that trend against the Bobcats.

“The game was typical of a lot of games we have had with Quinnipiac over the years, where it is high energy with a lot of physical commitment from both teams,” head coach Brian Tompkins said.

With a strong defensive effort throughout the game, the Elis had a hard time capitalizing on scoring opportunities.

“We have defended well in the past two games, we just need to get some guys healthy and finish our chances,” Dennen said.

Although the Bulldogs were able to escape the double-overtime without recording another loss, it was an aggravating tie for the visiting team.

“It was a frustrating outcome because we know that we can play better soccer,” attacker Peter Jacobson ’14 said.

The Elis closest chance to win it came towards the end of the second half. Jacobson got himself in a position to get his head on the receiving end of a Yale corner kick, but the Bobcats were able to block the deflection before it reached the net.

On the other end of the field, goalie Bobby Thalman ’13 kept the Bulldogs alive throughout the entire 110 minutes, recording five saves and his first career shutout.

But the Bulldogs couldn’t connect with one another as the front line struggled to find the back of the net.

“I think it was good experience for us to go on the road and start five freshmen as we did today,” Tompkins said. “And to play against a team that is better than its record would suggest, and come away with a tie, we have to be satisfied with that.”

The Bobcats finished with a 17-9 edge over the Bulldogs on shots on goal. But neither squad was able to score, sending both teams away with a tie on their records.

The Bulldogs return home on Friday to face Farleigh Dickinson in a 7p.m. match-up.