Lishan Wang, 44, the man charged with the murder of School of Medicine postdoctoral clinical fellow Vajinder Toor, 34, admitted he was at the crime scene moments before Toor was shot and said he was sorry for what had happened, according to a police report.

Wang’s admissions do not amount to a confession, but they were given after police read Wang his Miranda rights, making them admissible evidence in court.

The report, written by two Branford Police officers who interrogated Wang shortly after he was arrested, also says that Wang said he might commit suicide. Wang has been placed in protective custody.

Wang said he spoke to Toor outside Toor’s Branford apartment Monday morning just before he was killed, according to the report. Wang said the last time he had talked with Toor was two years ago, when Toor was one of his bosses at the Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center in Brooklyn.

In May of 2008, Toor and two other employees at the center were involved in a confrontation with Wang over alleged lapses in his duties. Wang told police that hospital administrators had accused him of poking Toor in the eye during one argument. As a result of the dispute, Wang was fired.

When police arrested Wang last Monday and searched the red mini-van he was driving, they found three handguns, more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition and pictures of all three of the bosses whom Wang blamed for his dismissal. Also found were Google Maps directions to Toor’s house.

Toor was a first-year fellow in the infectious diseases section of the Department of Internal Medicine at the Yale School of Medicine. He graduated from the Guru Govind Singh Medical College in Punjab, India, in 2001.

According to the Indo-Asian News Service, members of Toor’s family have traveled to Connecticut and made arrangements to bury Toor in New Haven.