Jeff Brenzel ’75, the dean of undergraduate admissions, is now also the new master of Timothy Dwight College.

Beginning July 1, Brenzel will replace Robert F. Thompson, affectionately known as “Master T,” who is retiring from the role after 32 years. At the same time, University President Richard Levin extended Brenzel’s deanship of the admissions office, which was set to expire this summer, for another five years.

“Jeff is one of the best managers in the University, and really capable of allocating his time efficiently,” Levin said. “He has exceptional judgment about people, and I think he will be a great source of advice and counsel for the students.”

Levin said he is confident Brenzel will be able to balance his two roles, especially since the worst crunch of the admissions season comes over spring break, when most students are not on campus.

In order to accommodate his new role as master of Timothy Dwight College, Brenzel said he will delegate some of his responsibilities in the admissions office to senior members of his staff.

Students in Timothy Dwight rejoiced at tonight’s announcement. Mary Attardo ’11, one of Brenzel’s former advisees said she still fondly remembers the time he bought Thai food to a scheduled meeting.

“We are ready to show him the wild life in TD!” added Camila Panama ’11

Brenzel is the second college master to be named this spring: Levin named Penelope Laurans, his special assistant and also an English Department lecturer, master of Jonathan Edwards in March.

For more, see tomorrow’s News.