Both the coed and women’s sailing teams rounded out their regular seasons strongly this weekend as both placed well in their regattas.

The No. 4 coed Elis placed third at the Friis-Marchiando Team Race, second at the Team Race B Level, and 12th at the New London Invitational. The No. 7 women finished fourth at the President’s Trophy Regatta.

Hosted by MIT and Tufts at Mystic Lake, the coed Bulldogs started Saturday’s regatta in harsh winds between 5 and 20 knots and unfamiliar sailboats called Larks — a hybrid between a 420 and an FJ — giving the Bulldogs a slight disadvantage.

“[Tufts is] the only venue in college sailing that has [Larks], and in addition to the boats being unique they added a different kind of sail,” Joseph Morris ’12 said. “It was pretty interesting to try a different boat out. I think that all the teams were equally disadvantaged except Tufts, which came through in the results.”

Despite the challenges, the Bulldogs survived the preliminary round-robin and earned a spot in the Gold Fleet on Sunday.

Sailing for the Bulldogs were Thomas Barrows ’10, Mike Hession ’10, Sarah Lihan ’10, Marla Menninger ’10, Blair Belling ’11, Liz Brim ’11, Morris and Rafael Fernandez ’13.

Sunday brought similar winds but warmer temperatures, and the Bulldogs rallied to put together an 11-6 record, tying with Tufts for second place but then losing a tiebreaker to take third. Boston College went on to win the regatta.

The team also sent a group of racers to the Team Race B Level at Roger Williams. The field was only four teams deep, making for a quick round-robin event. Winds changed considerably throughout the day, and the Bulldogs finished with a 6–6 record, placing third.

Sailing for Yale were Rebecca Jackson ’10, John Vrolyk ’10, Andrew Kurzrok ’11, Isabel Elliman ’12, Jared Shenson ’12 and Grace Zimmerly ’13.

Lastly, two duos of coed sailors travelled to the New London Invitational, a fleet racing event, at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. The racers faced unusually harsh conditions; the wind reached 25 knots, forcing some competitors to retire.

In the A division, Stephanie Schuyler ’12 and Genoa Warner ’12 sailed to ninth place with 145 points. Nathan Stevens ’11 and Jo Hanle ’13 finished 14th in the B division with 227 points. The Coast Guard took first in the A Division, while Dartmouth duos placed first and second in the B Division.

The women’s sailing team was back to team racing after their fleet race last weekend and the Bulldogs found some harsh conditions.

Saturday morning at the Boston University-hosted President’s Trophy Regatta on the Charles River, shifty winds ranging from five to 25 knots caused numerous sailors to capsize.

The A division team of Claire Dennis ’13 and Heather May ’13 finished second in their division despite their bow plate bending, only four points out of first place.

In the B division, Emily Billing ’13 and Margot Benedict ’12 finished fifth, only six points out of fourth.

Overall, the Bulldogs placed fourth with 91 points, four points out of second place.

“It became really tight towards the end, and we had a rough first day, so it was really nice to be able to climb up the standings on the second day,” Margot Benedict ’12 said.

Next week the coed Bulldogs will head to the New England Dinghy Championships at Connecticut College, the Oberg Trophy at Boston University, and host the Short Beach Invitational at the McNay Family Sailing Center. The women’s team will travel to Coast Guard for the Wick and Shrew Trophies.

Correction: April 14, 2010

An earlier version of this article misreported the finish of the coed sailing team that raced in the Team Race B Level over the weekend. The team finished 6–6 and took third place. In addition, the article previously misstated that the New London Invitational was an inaugural event.