The softball team finally comes home this weekend.

After 12 games away from New Haven, the Bulldogs (3–9) will host a doubleheader against Army (8–6) in their season’s home opener at Dewitt Family Field on Saturday.

The Elis are coming off a doubleheader split against Marist on Wednesday. After losing 4–3 in the final inning of the first game, the Elis bounced back with a 3–0 shutout led by pitcher Kayla Kuretich ’10, who pitched a one-hitter and struck out six.

Despite the Bulldogs posting their first shutout win this season, the team still has much to improve on, particularly with mental mistakes, Kuretich said.

“We’re still trying to work out all the kinks,” she said. “But our hitting has improved dramatically.”

The Black Knights of Army are coming off a 14–0 rout of Farleigh Dickinson in their final game of the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla. The Knights also defeated Cornell 2–1 in the tournament. After going 5–3 in Florida, Army has posted its best start since 2003.

Last season the Bulldogs went 3–0 against the Black Knights, defeating them in Kissimmee, Fla., and twice more in a doubleheader in West Point, N.Y.

Offensively, Yale is led by utility player Christy Nelson ’13, who leads the team in batting average at .323. Nelson also leads the team in slugging percentage, on-base percentage and home runs.

Outfielder and captain Ashley Sloan ’10 leads the team in runs scored, hits and stolen bases. Sloan’s experience has shown this season as she has successfully completed all four of her steal attempts and worked pitchers to get a team-high four walks this season.

Outfielder Lauren Huddleston ’10, batting .259, has batted in a team-high five runs this season, three of which came in a timely home run against Marist.

Kuretich has led the way for Yale’s pitching staff. Kuretich has an ERA of 2.10 this season, forcing opposing batters into a .185 batting percentage. Pitcher Jackie Manzer ’13 has an ERA of 2.41 this season and has completed a team-high two games this season.

First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. The second game will start after the first.