Letter: Wonderful winter games

Re: Woeful winter games (Feb. 17): I was shocked and disappointed to see the disdain exhibited for the Winter Olympics. Even if the writer does not enjoy the winter games, he should not extend this attitude to the entire world.

“No one really cares about the Winter Olympics?” Try telling that to the millions of my fellow Canadians whose hearts swelled with pride as Alexandre Bilodeau became the first Canadian to win gold on home soil (and the ones whose hearts fell when the hockey team lost on Sunday). Putting down the United Kingdom’s Shelley Rudman? Say that to the face of a Brit and see how they react to the disrespect shown to the only person on their team who medaled in Turin.

“Who are these athletes and what are they doing?” They are young men and women who have spent a lifetime training for their one short shot at glory, trying to represent their countries on the biggest stage in the world, not for the money like most athletes in big American sports leagues, but for national pride and the spirit of sport.

The Olympics don’t have to be made into the transcendent, global event they embody. They already are. Maybe it just requires opening our minds a little. Or, more importantly, opening our hearts.

Josh Satok

Feb. 18

The writer is a freshman in Pierson College.

• If only …

They’d be even more wonderful, if they existed for celebrating the athletes own passions, and not as an obscene corporate money-making machine. Don’t get me wrong: The Summer Olympics is beyond boring, but at least the organizers show some common decency and respect for the lives of their participants.

• Dave

Go Canada!

• Goldie ’08

Frankly, it’s shameful that Canada’s first gold medal on home soil had to come in a non-sport like freestyle skiing. Nobody was putting down the international element of the olympics. Matter of fact, national pride is the only thing that actually keeps me watching what I would say is a collection of “winter hobbies” rather than a sporting event. That might be going a bit far but its to illustrate my point.

Also the Brits should be embarassed they only have one medal. They should also be embarassed for being the home country of eddie the eagle, who embodies the idea that the winter games are a collection of normal folks, hobbyists and what have yous looking for some fun. Nothing against that, but let’s not revere these people as great athletes. The standard for athletic greatness is ability in a fast paced, cerebral team sport requiring lots of varrying skills (running, jumping, changing speed, thinking, passing, throwing, aiming, etc.) or purely cardiovascular pursuits (swimming, biking, running, etc.) Short track speed skating (aka don’t crash and you win) is not a real sport.

• Draco Wong

Oh yeah dragon meat sandwich, I’m commiinnnggg!!! Oh canada