State may lift Sunday liquor ban

It’s a mistake out-of-state Yalies only make once: trying to buy alcohol on a Sunday, said Giuseppe Volpato, a manager at the Wine Thief on Whitney Avenue.

But last week, a trio of Connecticut mayors — including New Haven’s John DeStefano Jr, — called on Governor M. Jodi Rell and the state legislature to lift Connecticut’s ban on Sunday liquor sales. The mayors said repealing the law could bring the state up to $8 million more in revenue annually, providing a boost in a time of economic hardship. But opponents say lifting the ban will not increase revenue because customers will simply spread their alcohol purchases out over all the days of the week. and will strain smaller liquor stores. The state legislature’s Legislative Program Review and Investigations Committee will soon review a bill that would lift the ban, though an exact date for the review has not been set.

“The additional sales and excise tax revenues Connecticut would earn have the power to save vital programs that are currently on the chopping block,” DeStefano said in a statement to the legislature and Rell.

But others in the state are not so sure. State Sen. Thomas Colapietro (D-Bristol) — the chair of the state legislature’s General Law Committee, which handles all legislation pertaining to alcohol sales in the state — said the mayors are “living in la-la land.”

“Apparently none of the mayors can count or add or use mathematics,” Colapietro said Monday. “You would have to fill all of the swimming pools in Fairfield County with booze in order to get the revenue they are thinking they are going to get.”

Colapietro added that lifting the ban would not increase the state’s revenue; rather, he said, it would transfer revenue from small liquor stores to grocery stores, which are already open on Sundays. Grocery shoppers will simply buy their alcohol along with their groceries on Sundays instead of going to package stores on another day, Colapietro said.

Carroll Hughes, executive director of the Connecticut Package Stores Association, an organization the promotes the interests of Connecticut liquor stores, also said the estimated $8 million increase in annual revenue is “outlandish.” To bring in that amount of money, he said, the state would have to sell 10 to 13 million more $10 bottles of vodka per year.

But State Sen. John Kissel (R-Enfield), chairman of the Legislative Program Review and Investigations Committee, which will review the bill to lift the ban, stands by the $5 to 8 million revenue increase projected in a December report, which his committee published. Kissel said the figure was “objectively determined by people that don’t have a dog in the fight.”

Both Volpato of the Wine Thief and Mike Patel, owner of Liquor World on Whalley Avenue, said keeping their stores open on Sundays would not necessarily increase their revenue; Patel and Volpato said costs would increase because they would have to pay one more day of payroll and utilities bills.

Volpato added that keeping liquor stores open on Sundays would disrupt the lives of the stores’ employees.

“Most of us are married, have families,” he said. “Being open on Sunday obviously cuts into your home life.”

About 85 percent of liquor stores in Connecticut are “mom and pop shops,” he said.

But Gary Gagliardi, owner of Gag Jr’s Liquor Shop on Chapel Street, said he does not see anything wrong with keeping his store open for a seventh day.

“Why not?” he said in an interview last year. “At least I know I could be open.”

Kissel said that by keeping the Sunday sales ban in place, the state is protecting liquor stores that want to be closed on Sundays. If the ban is lifted, stores are not required to be open, Kissel said.

State Sen. Len Fasano (R-North Haven) said lifting the ban will hurt the “mom and pop” stores.

But State Senate Majority Leader Martin Looney (D-New Haven) said that if there is a consensus in the legislature, he will support a repeal of the ban because it is an “artificial constraint.”

The Legislative Program Review and Investigations Committee will discuss a bill that would lift the ban in the near future, Kissel said, but he added that an exact date has not yet been set.

“We need to bring Connecticut into the 21st Century,” said Sarah Barr, the spokeswoman for Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez. Perez and Bridgeport mayor Bill Finch joined DeStefano last week in urging the state government to lift the Sunday sales ban.

In 2003, the state passed a law allowing liquor stores to stay open until 9 p.m. instead of 8 p.m.

• hiphip

HOORAY

• Mike

If the liquor store doesn’t want to open on Sunday, then they don’t have to. I think there is some major confusion assuming that passing the law would require liquor stores to open on Sunday. It just provides them the option. This is not the 1800’s anymore, I see no reason that a law should prevent a store from being open on Sunday. In this economy it may do more than just raise revenue, it could provide some jobs to people looking for part time work on the weekends.

• D Train

Carol Hughes and the good Senator ought to get their math correct. It’s sales and excise taxes and when was the last time anyone bought a $10 bottle of vodka…please!

Just go to NY or MA on Sunday and look at the all the cars with CT plates and tell me that the state won’t get more money.

This is a ridiculous issue…Make it happen NOW.

• Hard Working Liquor Store Owner

We all know its the 20st century but some of us still belive in family time and Sunday is the only day for that. Working 6 days a week ever day of the year for many years is hard enough try adding on one more. And for the its your choice to open or not is crazy because if you a high volum store and you dont open the next guy will get your business .Also to add the sales will be spreed over the week no one has any money to buy anymore then what thay are already buying. Go find tax dollers some where else where someone dosen”t have to work 7 days a week. And people looking for job thing try the trust factore that well be more money from door.us out the

• PC ’10

@#4 Rather than the 20st, we currently live in the 21st century. This is about capitalism and the legitimacy of the state government to interfere in the free market. There is no compelling state interest in restricting the sales of alcohol on a certain day of the week. Regardless of how much revenue it may or may not bring. If you don’t want a free market capitalist economy, move.

Additionally, I can think of a few times in the past few weeks that I’ve wanted a bottle of wine or some liquor not already in my cabinet on a Sunday afternoon. I didn’t go on Monday. I just didn’t buy it. Also, I know a friend who was having a wine and cheese thing on a Sunday and forgot to buy the wine until the day of. She drove to New York. Yes, these are just a couple of anecdotes, but the argument that liquor sales will just be spread out over the whole week is completely baseless. People who want alcohol on Sundays often either don’t buy it at all or drive to the state line. Why should NY and MA be getting CT’s tax dollars?

• Mike again

Ok, “Hard working liquor store owner”, are you suggesting that you make more than liquor stores in MA, NY or any other state that allows liquor sales 7 days a week? If you are closed on Sunday and another store takes your business, then is that bonus business you are not getting now? If so, then they didn’t take any business from you at all. You’re just going to miss out on more sales.

Incidentally, I used to work in a liquor store in NJ. The law there is hard liquor until 10pm 7 days and beer and wine until 2am. But the one thing that we liked the most about Sunday was that the bulk of the sales were beer and wine, which represented the higher profit margins since the profit margin on hard liquor is minimal.

I completely agree with PC’10. I can’t tell you how many Sunday’s in the summer I’ve gone shopping for stuff to make on the grill and wanted a beer to go with the lunch or dinner. I didn’t end up buying the beer on another day, I never bothered to buy it.