Shuttles increase service

Yale University Shuttle Services is expanding its routes to accommodate late-night studiers in Bass Library.

Within the past year, the Yale Shuttle expanded its nightly dispatch service to accommodate students studying at Bass Library late at night, added the Red Line to serve the Science Park area and the train station, added a bus to the Orange Line and restructured its routes to adjust to construction and street closures, said Janet Lindner, the associate vice president for administration.

The Yale Shuttle's door-to-door service picks up passengers at its usual Wall Street stop.
Sean Fraga

The Yale Shuttle has expanded its door-to-door dispatch service by one hour, now running from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Door-to-door service takes passengers directly to their residences and runs every 15 minutes. Although there is already a door-to-door service that picks students up between Sterling Memorial Library and the Law School, Shuttle Services also added a stop outside Porter Gate, the Elm Street entrance to Cross Campus, to accommodate students studying at Bass Library. The new stop will serve students between midnight and 2:00 a.m.

The Yale College Council suggested the new stop, Lindner said, in response to student concerns about walking home late at night.

After regular door-to-door service hours are over, students can call the after-hours service, or “the mini-bus,” to be escorted to their dorms. Blessing Aghaulor ’12 said she uses the door-to-door dispatch service as late as 5 a.m. to return to Ezra Stiles College.

“I think it is really good,” Aghaulor said. “Lately I haven’t been made to wait for more than 10 minutes for the bus.”

Lindner said the street closures on Prospect Street, the result of construction on the Prospect Street bridge has been challenging because of the time it adds to bus routes.

“This change has added about five to seven minutes to drive the complete route around campus, but so far passengers have been incredibly understanding,” Lindner said.

The Blue Line, the main route that encircles Yale’s campus every 15 minutes, typically relied on Prospect Street. The Science Hill Express also had to be rerouted because it used to follow Prospect Street to reach the Science Hill area.

Farnaz Gulamhussein ’12 said the construction makes it difficult for her to arrive at her Organic Chemistry class by 9:20 a.m.

“It is really unreliable and doesn’t come on time all the time,” Gulamhussein said. “If they had two buses going up Science Hill, especially in the morning, that would be really nice.”

Last year, the shuttle service added the Red Line because of an increase in employees living in Science Park and the need for regular service to the train station, Lindner said. The Red Line runs every 15 minutes and traverses Science Park, Science Hill, Central Campus, the Medical Area and the train station.

The Shuttle Service recently added another bus to the Orange Line, which also runs every 15 minutes and is one of the more popular and heavily used routes, Lindner said.

The next step for the service will be the addition of a stop at Yale University Health Services, Lindner said.

• The Count

So Yale students can get shuttle service at all hours of the night but there’s no shuttle out to Tweed Airport because “the demand isn’t there?” Would they even CONSIDER running service around such “peak” times as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Commencement and Orientation? I would THINK there should be at least a modicum of demand there. Were talking only 3 miles between the campus and Tweed versus the 60 miles from New Haven to Windsor Locks; 15 minutes versus at least an hour…on a GOOD day. C’mon, guys: All we are saying is give Tweed a chance!

• j

The shuttle service availability and responsiveness on campus is incredible. I have used it countless times this year, and I relied on it throughout this past summer as I was living in off-campus housing. Really impressed!

• d

Love the convenience of the Red Line. The drivers are friendly, too.

• BR’10

@The Count – who the heck flies from Tweed? I can’t think of a single individual I know, in four years, that ever flew home from Tweed.