Monday afternoon, amid the unusually hot weather, the Yale dining staff worked hard to provide a consistent flow of chilled refreshments to cool the attendants of the 30th annual Seton Elm-Ivy Awards.

The awards luncheon, which took place in the President’s Room in Woolsey Hall, honors individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to strengthen town-gown relations.

Among the honorees were two students, Daniel Edeza ’10 and Leon Noel ’10, each presented with Undergraduate Ivy Awards. Edeza was acknowledged for his commitment to New Haven’s public education, while Noel was recognized for the development of a Web site that works to connect New Haven residents in need with those who can help. University President Richard Levin and Mayor John DeStefano Jr. presented the awards to nine individuals and one organization.

“It’s really a celebration of the ties and cooperation between the city and the University,” Michael Morand ’87 DIV ’93 said. Morand, associate vice-president for Yale’s Office of New Haven and State Affairs, directed the ceremony and delivered a keynote speech.

“Thousands and thousands of people have been impacted by these individuals,” he added. “It’s always good to recognize this kind of work.”

Holding true to its do-good nature, the luncheon also featured a menu of local ingredients from sustainable resources.

“We’re having a YSFP lunch,” Campus Catering Manager Helene Bertazzo said, referring to the Yale Sustainable Food Project. “This is a completely sustainable event.”

Since its inception in 1979, the Seton Elm-Ivy Awards have honored over 400 individuals.