How to save a life. A bone marrow drive in honor of Mandi Schwartz ’10, a member of the women’s hockey team, will be held today from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. in Commons. The drive involves a simple cheek swab — plus the chance to beat Harvard, which is also having a drive, and maybe to save a life.

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who will speak today in Battell Chapel at 4 p.m., was featured Tuesday night on Jon Stewart’s “Daily Show.” On the show, Johnson Sirleaf presented Stewart with a chief’s robe and hat. No word on whether President Levin or any other Yalies will get the same gifts today.

Last night, the Whiffenpoofs tapped their 2009-’10 group. Current members ran across the campus to juniors’ suites with a tap cup. But unlike the recent tap nights for senior societies, the bad weather rained on the Whiffs’ parade.

The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal weigh in on Ricci v. DeStefano. The Times sided with the city, saying, “Because New Haven had a reasonable belief that the test discriminated against minority applicants, it had a legitimate basis for discarding the results.”

The Journal, on the other hand, took the firefighters’ side, noting that “there’s got to be a better way to accomplish this goal [diversity] than by denying promotions to workers who earned them.”

Harvard is two for three in terms of U.S. News & World Report graduate school first-place rankings. Harvard’s medical and business schools took first place, but its law school fell to Yale.

In an effort to increase sustainability, this week the dining halls began using cage-free eggs.

This day in Yale history

1942 The Elm City experienced its first daytime air raid test. As part of the simulation, Elis were informed that then-President Charles Seymour’s house was hit by a bomb. Students had to leave class and take cover, while fire engines rushed to the president’s house to extinguish the mock fire.

Submit tips to Cross Campus

crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS