N*E*R*D, Girl Talk tapped for Spring Fling

The funk rock band N*E*R*D, the remix artist Girl Talk and the rapper Wale are slated to perform at Spring Fling next month, the News has learned.

The Yale College Council and the Yale Student Activities Committee, which plan the annual concert, have not yet announced this year’s performers. But the three musical acts are listed on the Web site of Pollstar, a trade magazine covering the concert industry, as being scheduled to perform at Yale on April 28, the date of Spring Fling.

Wale, Girl Talk and N*E*R*D (pictured left to right) are reportedly slated to perform at Spring Fling next month.

Reached by telephone early Monday, YCC President Rich Tao ’10 would not confirm that the three acts had been booked for Spring Fling. He declined to comment on whether the three artists comprised the entirety of the show’s lineup and on the status of the selection process.

“All of us involved have put in a lot of time and energy into this year’s Spring Fling,” Tao said in a statement. “We are all really excited about sharing the lineup with the school. Right now, we are still working on the show and we aren’t ready yet to announce the full lineup.”

For more on this breaking story, see Tuesday’s News.

• Y11

YESSSSSSS

Killer win. And YPMB is AWESOME.

Bulldog, bulldog, bow-wow-wow, Eli Yale!
    Bulldog, bulldog, bow-wow-wow, our team will never fail!
    When the sons of Eli break through the line,
    That is the sign we hail.

• BR10

Wow. I picked the wrong year to go abroad.

Girl Talk is gonna be so ill.

Seriously?

Bleh.

• whew

thank god this year's ycc prez and ysac chair have good taste in music.

• Phil

Oh god, wtf. Obviously picked by people who think they're hip. Couldn't we at least get a more diverse representation?

• CC 08

Well, at least its not Hootie and the Blowfish.

• GIRL TALK!!!!

YES!!!!

All of these are awesome…good work

we got girl talk for free before.

• woot

GIRL TALK!?!?!

HECK YES!! YCC got it right this year. :)

• anonymous

guess the days of really big spring flings are over…

the ydn decides to publish without confirmation yet again. shocking. why don't you just break the story when the event's organizers are ready to announce? excited about the line up, disappointed in the ydn's journalism "ethics."

• anonymouse

what is nerd and wall

i would rather watch paul blart

• y'10

another year at yale, another disappointing spring fling line up.

why can't we ever get somebody that anyone has even HEARD OF?

hasn't girl talk come to yale several times for events of smaller scale? kinda makes these choices seem less than special

I dunno, it's not terribly exciting, but it definitely could have been worse.

yes! not huge names, but lots of fun. this should be great.

• I wonder

how many of the people disappointed with this year's lineup thought Sean Kingston's performance was totally rad?

• yale2010

so disappointing. thanks a lot, ycc.

Thank god for the end to the 90's Throwback Band era. And yes, Girl Talk came before on a smaller scale, but that was before he was one of the hottest names in the business… should be a lot more hyped this time.

Girl Talk was here a year or two ago in Stiles dining hall.

Seriously, YCC/YSAC, this is pathetic.

If we're going to be hiring people who've been at Yale in recent memory, why couldn't we get Third Eye Blind? There are no crowd-pleasers here. Spring Fling is only fun when everyone knows the lyrics.

To #21, everyone WILL know every lyric in Girl Talk's set. If it's singing along that matters, you should note that his performance is the only way we'll ever be able to sing along to Jay-Z, Kanye, Journey, Nirvana, Lil Wayne, or Radiohead at Spring Fling.

If anyone is disappointed and wants to feel a bit better about the selections, read this. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/arts/music/20girl.html

Re: #21, everyone knows Girl Talk's lyrics--that's the point.

Still, this line-up smacks of fall 2006…

For all of those with the comment that Girl Talk already played at Yale, I’ll give you an analogy which I’m sure you can relate too:

The difference between seeing Girl Talk years ago in a dining hall and seeing him this year at Spring Fling is like the difference between seeing the Jonas Bros. when they were just a Disney Channel band and seeing them now. There’s a big difference, most importantly in the crowd.

• @22

Isn't it kind of hard to sing along to Girl Talk? I mean sure, he uses songs most people know, but only fragments. I doubt many people are going to follow James Taylor to Ludacris transitions…

• wale

the wale pick is brilliant. dude is blowing up very soon, and plays with a live plan.

• DMV

Ya WALE! Good choice, one of the best up and comin rappers out there. Saw him last summer and it was a good show

• cc '09

I've skipped the last three spring flings, but I'm actually looking forward to Girl Talk. Never thought I'd say this, but well done, YCC.

• Glenn T

All the girls standing in the line for the bathroom

not to mention, Wale is awesome. Seriously. Listen to "The Crazy"

• je 10

WALE is SICK! Everyone should check him out. He has a mixtape online for free!!!

• Jeff Tweedy

Nothing will ever top Wilco, 2003.

• hell yeah

for those that don't know, girl talk is 2 djs who do crazy mashups and remixes. NERD is pharrell's rap/rock band, they're unreal in concert. and wale is soon to be the greatest rapper alive. reppin dc baby. sick spring fling

• ES 12

Girl Talk is ONE D.J., Gregg Gillis, who does mashups using pop hits of the '70s, '80s, and '90s and rap music to boot. And it just so happens that my entire damn suite can follow the lyrical transition from James Taylor to Ludacris. It is genius.

I don't really care about N.E.R.D. or Wale, I'm just really happy that Nickelback isn't coming.

• Petite Feet

Wait, are you guys saying Girl Talk combined songs by two people who are, like, totally different? No way! That is INSANE!

Hey, what if a punk band covered some love song from the 80s? Can you imagine!??!?

• dudeimlike15

is this open to the public??

No.