Svendsen: Graphic feminism

No caption.
Jessica Svendsen
No caption.

Please stop this. Especially the projected statistics. If you want to help, refocus your efforts.

Anonymous, what is wrong with "this"? No matter how you feel about "feminism", surely you agree that sexual assault should be stopped, and surely you can acknowledge that the discrepancies with these numbers can help us start thinking about how to do that, and about what will make it hard. Stopping sexual assault, no matter your definition of it, is something everyone can be a part of, and this piece of graphic art can get people to think about it who may not have known or thought to otherwise. You'll notice that the piece makes no effort to tell people what to think or imply what conclusions should be drawn from the numbers presented. That much is up to the viewer. The lines around the numbers that change the outline and appearance/font, making them bigger or smaller, adds to the sense that they are confusing, that even though they are published statistics they are not concrete, and that the true number may be much bigger, much smaller, or even take an entirely different shape (whatever that might mean).

Also, note that the "projected statistic" comes from the US Justice Department, not from any ideologically questionable group. And even if it is theoretically "too high" the 8-20 offenses that DID occur last year are practically too many. If the number were one, it would be one too many. Hopefully, you wouldn't debate me on that.

Keep it up, Jessica.