Letter: Clarifying my attitude toward the Elm City ID card

In light of yesterday’s article “Harrison ’11 faces scrutiny” (March 3), I would like to set the record straight and clarify my stances on the Elm City ID card. Since announcing my candidacy, I have emphasized that this is one of the issues that I would like to address as alderwoman, but I firmly believe that in that position I must work with other city officials on the big issues facing our city if we are to affect meaningful change.

Expanding the Elm City ID program is an essential part of my vision for a better New Haven, and I look forward to working closely with the Community Services Administration and JUNTA for Progressive Action on the issue of immigrants’ rights. I hope to build on the invaluable work that Kica Matos has already done for so many undocumented immigrants in New Haven. I look forward to our meeting in a few weeks, as she has established our city as a national leader in addressing this critical issue.

Furthermore, I am well aware that San Francisco’s resident card is modeled after the Elm City ID, a point of local pride I have continually emphasized. Analyzing how New Haven’s ID program has been successfully applied in other cities may be particularly helpful as we approach the question of how to expand the number of cardholders. I strongly advocate for identifying the best practices wherever they can be found.

My goal in this campaign is to start a true dialogue about this and other big issues facing the city — from development to crime to safe streets — and about what the job of the Ward 1 alder truly is. I welcome your questions and your ideas, and I look forward to working with you all.

Katie Harrison

March 3

The writer is a sophomore in Berkeley College and a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Ward 1 alderman.

• yalliiie

The YDN really messed up on this article. I'm glad that Katie clarified her stances. Good for her. I for one am very curious as to what she will say in her press conference today. Hopefully shr will prove that this article is far less informed than she is on her stances on the ID and development.

• yale undergrad

right on. thanks for making the effort during this extremely short campaign sason to learn from those who have been working on these issues in the city already - a continuation of her earlier work with community organizations. i wish the other candidates would follow her lead and think a bit more broadly about the role of the ward 1 alder.

i look forward to hearing what you have to say about economic development today!

clearly, you all work for her campaign.

• y'08

Looks like the most exciting Ward 1 race in decades!

Hopefully this will spur Yale undergrads to get involved and start working on the real issues that lie beneath problems such as inequality, poverty, streets with no bike lanes, etc.

It's great that we elected Obama but unless he actually gets hundreds of thousands of citizens involved to address the fundamentals, like changing tax policy so people have an incentive to work, and changing transit policy so people don't have to own and operate expensive automobiles in order to survive, nothing will really change.

• Goldie '08

I'm voting for Nick Shalek

I'm glad Katie's campaign is competent enough to find her article on the YDN and can post encouraging comments (#1 and 2).

• LegalEagle

Excellent! Support people breaking the law! Either by omission or blatant encouragement, the ID program flies in the face of the federal and state immigration laws.

I can see why Destafano supports and encourages them. He would get not so indirect financial gains from the ID card program as he sits on the Bank of Americano board, but an alderman candidate? Cmon…Is this how you REALLY want to start your political career? Its and icy slope my friend..