Letter: ‘My Little Pony’ is also offensive

I congratulate John Scrudato for taking a bold stand against bigotry and hatred on our beautiful campus (“To avoid discrimination,” Feb. 23). Too long have the putrid tentacles of prejudice poisoned this environment of life and learning, and I wholeheartedly agree that it is time to put an end to overtly racist freshmen events and any attempt to use racial or gender stereotypes as the basis for humor in campus publications.

Although I laud his reasoning, I was saddened and dismayed to discover that his proposed solution is My Little Pony. In his words, “any campus event which insults or offends more than one person [should] be disbanded or rebranded with an acceptable worldview.” As I am prepared to show, My Little Pony is as insensitive and heinous a theme as any that have been protested in recent years.

First of all, the toy collection flies in the face of modern feminism by blatantly upholding the image of little girls obsessed with the pretty, the pink and the superficial. By the same token, it is a reminder that any little boy who chose to play with My Little Pony instead of G.I. Joe instantly became an object of scorn and ridicule among his peers. These stereotyped gender roles are antiquated and should be brought to an end.

Speaking of gender roles, Scrudato ends his article by asking, “Who doesn’t like rainbow-colored ponies?” This ignorant rhetorical question completely invalidates the worldview of all those who oppose flagrant displays of homosexuality. We may be forced to tolerate homosexual individuals on this campus, but promoting their global agenda with rainbow-themed events is morally repugnant.

On an unrelated point, the cheaply made, overpriced plastic toys are a symbol of America’s frivolous consumerist culture. Buying large quantities of useless petroleum products for our children increases our dependence on foreign oil and encourages the very behavior that has landed us in the current economic crisis. Any patriot American would be shocked and appalled at the suggestion that we endorse these practices with such a vile theme.

Finally, the publicity surrounding My Little Pony rudely ignores the needs of a very downtrodden group in our society. Scrudato tells us that Hasbro says the ponies represent “a world of surprises and spontaneity, sunshine and silliness,” but their bias has blinded them to the existence of those with speech impediments, for whom this seemingly saccharine slogan is a Sisyphean struggle.

Again, I thank Scrudato for expressing the just concerns of the many outraged people who struggle through tears of injustice and fury on a daily basis, but I would kindly ask that he refrain from suggesting such patently offensive ideas in the future.

Julian Prokopetz

Feb. 24

The writer is a senior in Ezra Stiles College.

• uh…..

I think you missed the whole point. Mr. Scrudato's article was actually a satire trying to make fun of people like you.

… you played right into his hand.

• haha

#1, I hope you eventually realize the utter irony of your statement.

Jubles, sheer brilliance.

• NY Hiring Mgr

I love the interwebs--it makes it easy to screen job applicants. Articles such as this will live forever in the cybertubes, allowing a good laugh before roundfiling the author's resume, whether next year or next decade.

Please stop.

Too funny--especially the comment by #1 :)

Julian Prokopetz, you are a genius. This is absolutely hilarious.

• haha

Isn't he from Canada?

• Parent

My Little Pony is offensive? The attitude of this writer reminds me of those who claimed "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" was rascist. These days, you find both little girls and little boys playing with pink toys. The suggestion that they don't causes me to wonder about the open-mindedness of those who suggest otherwise. Get back to your books, kids. Four years are over in a flash. Make something of them.

• NY Job Seeker

And this is why I'm terrified: NY Hiring Managers are idiots.

• KT

@#3: Apparently people in HR departments don't understand sarcasm?

• wow

This is probably the first time I've seen someone misinterpret a satire, and then write another satire that attacks the preceding satire in such a way that it is, itself, misinterpreted. The best part is, they both appear to be on the same side! Hilarious!

Also, way to be a creep, #3.

• Recent Alum

#3: Of course, there are also those of us who would want to hire the author based on this article.

• Goldie '08

I'm sure Julian meant this letter as satire, or some kind of humor, as well. His points are all valid and he does a good job to point out how stupid Scrudato was to bring up my little pony.

The real problem with Julian's letter is…It Is Not Funny! At All!

I'm so confused… I think this letter agrees with Scrudato. If it does, its author obviously didn't get the first piece. Id the author disagrees with Scrudato than, frankly, he simply doesn't know how to be funny.

#13: My Little Pony was supposed to be stupid. It's a not so subtle hint that Scrudato's opinion piece was satirical and actually lampooning the racist and outdated ideas behind co-ops and special treatment.

• Author

#12: If you're serious, please let me know. Actually. My job search is an ongoing - and thus far fruitless - quest.

#14: You're right - I agree with what Scrudato was trying to say, but his satire was so subtle that I don't really blame people for missing the point. I decided to write a similar piece with a slightly more obvious tone to see if I'd run into the same problem, and quite clearly, I did.

wait… your article just made fun of someone who agrees with you. This author obviously didn't get the original was a satire poking fun of people's hypersensitivity to issues.

I find this whole situation funnier than the satire itself.

• Y '13

haha no, the point of this satire was NOT to make fun of Scrudato. See, Scrudato originally satirized hypersensitivity to cultural issues, but some people didn't get that he was joking. So, then, Prokopetz (who agrees with Scrudato), wrote a letter in "response" that took Scrudato's satire further by suggesting that even the ostensibly tame theme that Scrudato had given (my little pony) could be seen as offensive by hypersensitive students on campus. So yes, both are satires, but they're both on the same side, and they're not attacking each other at all … i'm confused as to how the author's response in post 15 did not make this clear. haha this whole thing is so ridiculous, and as an aside, i found both satires hilarious … way to go

It's very said that the author has spent time to write up a parody making fun of the deaf and other populations of people for wanting to be treated like human beings.

• Pingback: URL

• Pingback: 888

• Pingback: website link

• Pingback: توصيات الاسهم

• Pingback: Dr Oz Garcinia Cambogia

• Pingback: hbo network true blood season 5

• Pingback: devenir rentier

• Pingback: english premier league