Briefly: Harvard Law moves up recruitment schedule in face of recession

Harvard Law School announced last week that it will advance its on-campus recruitment schedule for law firm employers by one month. Recruiters will arrive on campus during the last full week of August before classes begin. The recession has reduced job offers at law firms nationwide, and students said the school’s recruiting schedule — later than many of its competitors — placed them at a disadvantage. Historically, Harvard and Yale began their recruiting cycles later than other law schools because firms reserved spots for graduates. The number of those reserved spots has fallen as the nation slips deeper into recession.

• Jerry

@YLS: I’m pretty sure the article (not to mention common sense) makes it amply clear that unfettered access to birth control is a necessary *but not sufficient* condition for low unintended pregnancy and infant mortality rates. Obviously the presence of other factors like – oh, I don’t know, abstinence-only sex education, underfunded or incomplete sex education, abusive individuals denying their partners access to birth control, sabotaging of birth control, violence at reproductive health clinics that many women rely on for access to birth control, rampage of vicious baby-killing alligator cyborgs – can also influence these rates. In fact, I’m pretty sure at least five of the above *are* happening in Mississippi right now.