Eight arrested in NHPD sting

Eight women were arrested and charged with prostitution in a sting conducted by the New Haven Police Department this weekend.

This was the eighth publicly announced sting organized by the NHPD since Chief of Police James Lewis’s launched a prostitution reduction initiative in August. Since the first raid, which occurred on Aug. 14, more than 60 “johns,” or male patrons, and prostitutes have been detained.

This weekend’s sting operation took place in New Haven’s Fair Haven neighborhood, which is known for widespread prostitution. During the sting, undercover officers from the Gun and Firearms Unit posed as “johns,” those who solicit a prostitute’s services.

The women arrested ranged in age from 38 to 57 years old, a city press release stated. Three of the eight — all of whom are New Haven residents — live within three blocks of Yale’s campus. One lives by the Peabody Museum, one behind Payne Whitney Gymnasium, another near the Yale Farm.

When the raids began, City Hall spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga told the News that City Hall includes in its press releases the names, faces, dates of birth and addresses of the individuals in order to deter their continued activity.

The NHPD hopes that its new focus on prostitution will cause a reduction in other types of criminal activity in the city like drug trafficking and domestic violence, she said.

• Fairness in reporting, please!

And WHERE do the "johns" live? How close to campus? Do they work at Yale? It is much more likely that your audience will come in contact with the Johns than the women, surely that is a more important piece of the story!!

I agree with user #1. YDN should stop being a mouthpiece of the NHPD. And it's not the prostitution. It's the economy, stupid.

• Spherical Cow

Stop your whining. Search "prostitution" on the YDN search and you'll find just what you claim to want …

but yes, #2, you're also right. The new chief, whatever his qualifications in other areas, is a complete fool to think that cracking down on prostitutes during a recession, when people are losing their jobs, and not provide drug rehab will do anything.

But hey, we're CT! We LOVE crowded prisons!

• J.H.C

i think it's great that they're focusing on Prostitution - but to drop everything else. Hey Police ! Multi task …..
    i woner if they were using fake addresses when they got arrested ? i travel past a couple of those addreses of the accused street walkers and never seen any activity whatsoever -good thing i suppose. Maybe just staying with a sympathetic john or relative -or just visited there a couple of times -you never know.
    Yes a lot of the Johns are employed in the area, lots brag about it and try to have them "Kept" someplace nearby for their self important convenience

• really?

Because publicizing the names and faces of accused prostitutes (and johns) is the best way to keep it from happening again. That'll really make it easy for them to find other options and move on with their lives!

REALLY, James Lewis? Really, this is the plan?

HI,
    The Yale daily news is really appreciably working.Gathering news all over the country and updating and providing to people.Its very qualified news.
    ----------------
    bhuvana

<a href="http://www.addictionlink.org/drug-rehab-center/virginia&quot; rel="dofollow">virginia drug rehab</a>

Let people work and be accountable for their actions, if you don't work and can't afford to live here, move down south or somewhere else.

-----------------

jack
    <a href="http://www.addictionlink.org/drug-rehab-center/california&quot; rel="do follow">california drug rehab</a>

• BR'10

He had a problem with the profanity-laden wall but not with the huge phallic missile? This is a superb overreaction.