Men’s soccer | Defensive day on tap

If history holds true, then the men’s soccer team should be in for a close, low-scoring game this weekend.

The Bulldogs (4-4-1, 0-1 Ivy) travel to Hanover to face Dartmouth (5-3-1, 0-0-1) tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. in what promises to be a tough defensive contest. Each team has only given up eight goals in nine games so far this season.

According to defender Max Rhodes ’09, Dartmouth’s strength at forward adds to what is traditionally a strong defensive squad.

“Every time we play Dartmouth, it’s a battle,” Rhodes said. “They play very good defense and are very organized. But this year, they also have a very potent attack, with two very good forwards.”

The Bulldogs have not won at Dartmouth since 1992, although recent contests at Burnham Field have been close, with four of the last five going to overtime.

This is the second of three straight away games to open the Ivy League season for the Bulldogs. Yet Rhodes does not see this as a disadvantage.

“I don’t think playing on the road is that much different,” he said. “In a way it’s good. It gives you a chance to get away from distractions.”

Dartmouth got off to a hot start this season, defeating Indiana — who had been ranked as high as No. 3 in a Soccer America poll — on Sept. 7, on their way to a 4-1 record. Since then, though, the Big Green has only won one of their last four games, including a 1-0 loss to Fairfield — the same score by which the Stags defeated the Bulldogs on Sept. 27.

This is each team’s second Ivy League contest. Both had disappointing conference openers on the road, with Yale falling to Harvard 1-0 while the Big Green tied Princeton 1-1.

“Both teams have a lot to play for, a lot to prove,” Rhodes said. “Neither of us got the results we were looking for last weekend.”

• Nomadic100

Here is a little historical perspective. During the Yale careers of the class of 1968 the vast majority of dining service workers were white. In those halcyon days the dining room workers cleaned up the students’ plates and tables. I remember feeling a little uncomfortable about that, as, even then, people customarily bussed their own tables at McDonalds or B.K. But I never felt that those workers were in a grossly servile relationship to the students. I suspect that Yale pays quite well, relatively speaking, and that similar work in any private setting in the New Haven area would pay far less. Remember, too, that students (or someone) are paying exorbitantly for Yale tuition and room and board. It’s not as though the students are getting something entirely for free. Many are paying through the nose.

• Nomadic100

Is the MSA affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood in any way? Is the Muslim Brotherhood dedicated to “a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the western civilization from within and sabotaging their miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and Allah’s religion is made victorious over all other religions.” (Memorandum on the General Strategic Goal for the Group in North America, 22 May, 1991) This document was admitted into evidence in the trial of the U.S. v. Holy Land Foundation.

If the answer to the first question is in the affirmative, then I believe that the NYPD should be surveilling any organization which is affiliated in any manner with the Muslim Brotherhood.

The author of this article (and the editors) should have adopted a far more rigorous approach to an issue which clearly demands it. For shame!

• Nomadic100

John, I don’t think you succeeded in trying to explain why the Academy is irretrievably Leftist. There are many other reasons aside from the explanation you posit, i.e., that social scientists tend naturally to the left. Perhaps the simplest and the intellectually most economical one is that the federal government financially supports most of academia in one way or another (faculty grants, student loans, student grants, etc.) I suspect that there are numerous sources of financial support from the federal government and these are just a few.

Academics are generally smart people but it doesn’t take a very high I.Q. to realize which side of the bread the butter is on.

And, actually, I do like Rick Santorum and his political views!

-Charles Morgan ’68