‘Safe Streets’ to Levin: Improve traffic, pedestrian safety

Today, a group of alumni and current students, who are residents of New Haven and supporters of the New Haven Safe Streets Coalition, submitted the following open letter to President Richard Levin regarding Yale’s expansion.

The letter calls on President Levin to improve campus-wide traffic safety and walkability prior to the construction of any new buildings, and urges the University to establish a high-level traffic safety commission charged with taking steps to eliminate traffic-related injuries and fatalities on and around the campus.

Dear President Levin,

As current Yale students, alumni and residents of New Haven, we are writing to offer our congratulations on the approval of Yale’s expansion to fourteen colleges.  We were particularly impressed by the thoroughness of the Study Group report, which is perhaps the finest planning document ever produced by a university administration.

If our company of scholars and friends wishes to preserve the intimacy of Yale by ensuring that the new residential colleges feel less remote from the traditional campus center — one of the key goals of the Study Group report — the number one priority must be for the streets of New Haven to be made safer, more walkable and bikeable.  The distances involved in this project, though significant in their own right when compared with the unique density of the central campus, are primarily psychological — particularly to students who must cross extremely dangerous streets such as Elm and Grove several times per day on foot.  This problem has been exacerbated by recent construction sites across the campus that do not make express accommodation for pedestrians, with blind corners, concrete bollards and fencing that endanger lives and lack appropriate signaling, signage, traffic calming or other progressive traffic safety measures.

Particularly in light of 11-year-old Gabrielle Lee, who was killed in a hit and run on Whalley Avenue in June, and the astonishing (but largely unpublished) number of Yale students severely injured in traffic-related incidents in New Haven just within the past two years, including Mila Rainof MED ’08 who was killed near the Yale School of Medicine in April, it is clear that now is the time for urgent action on this issue.

If our city and campus streets were designed for our community’s health and enjoyment, rather than for moving the greatest number of automobiles as rapidly as possible through them, the entire dynamic of our city and the Yale campus — socially, culturally, economically and environmentally — would change.  Hundreds of traffic-related injuries could easily be prevented.  Distances would feel shorter due to the expansion of the average walking radius.

The problem of perceived distance was referred to many times in the Study Group report, but the specific importance of traffic safety issues was not adequately addressed as part of it. Within the immediate vicinity of the Yale campus in particular, where pedestrian traffic (and therefore, risk) is very high, most speed limits should be reduced to a 15-20 m.p.h. pace – the highest speed at which a pedestrian-motor vehicle collision is not likely to be fatal.  Curb extensions that improve pedestrian visibility, medians, narrowed, raised or marked crosswalks, in-street signage and other traffic calming measures are desperately needed.

Although Yale deserves significant praise for promoting sustainable transportation systems, for developing an excellent relationship with the city of New Haven, and for important infrastructure improvements (including, near the site of the new colleges, cash commitments for additional pedestrian signalization, commuter lockers and showers, bicycle/pedestrian infrastructure and the completion of the Farmington Canal Greenway), additional measures must be taken by all parties involved — and as the Study Group recommends, completed prior to the construction of any new residential colleges.  The University should consider creating a high-level traffic safety commission with the broad powers, resources and responsibilities needed to immediately improve the safety of our community around all areas of the Yale Campus and at the new West Campus. One of the greatest legacies of your administration could be ending the epidemic of serious traffic-related injuries and deaths that occur on and around the University every year.

Beyond the immediate purview of the Yale campus, all levels of local, regional and state government, private institutions, nonprofit organizations, major employers and individual citizens must continue to work cooperatively on this issue and begin planning our city using 21st-century principles that emphasize safety, economic viability, and alternative forms of transportation along with more traditional concerns such as motor-vehicle capacity. Every street in New Haven must be reevaluated for its impact on safety.  Organizations such as the Yale Medical Campus Traffic Safety Group, one of the founding members of the newly-created New Haven Safe Streets Coalition, are actively working for pedestrian and driver education programs directed towards students, employees and area residents, improved enforcement of traffic laws and progressive infrastructure improvements, and will need the continued support of the University.

Best regards,

Mark Abraham, YC ’04
Carole Bass, YC ’83, MSL ’97
Hon. Ward 2 Alderwoman Gina L. Calder, YC ’03, EPH ’08
Hon. Ward 6 Alderwoman Dolores Colon, YC ’91
Kevin Currey, YC ’09
Justin Elicker, FES/SOM ’10
Doug Hausladen, YC ’04
Angel Hertslet, YC ’08
Erica Mintzer, MED ’09
Tiffany Ng, YC ’05
Hon. Ward 1 Alderwoman Rachel Plattus, YC ’09
Adler Prioly, YC ’09
Rob Rocke, GRD ’97
Hunter Smith, LAW ’10
Jason Stockmann, GRD ’10
Rachel Wattier, MED ’09

The authors are supporters of New Haven Safe Streets, a coalition of individual neighborhood associations, business districts, organizations and residents advocating for the adoption of a citywide strategy to reduce the number of traffic-related injuries in New Haven.

• der81

Can someone post a link to these "hundreds of traffic injuries" qouted in the letter? Once again Yale and its students need to be reminded that the University does not own the city. The city does not exist at Yale's pleasure. If safety is such a concern Yale can build skybridge walkways between thier buildings. That will allow the Yale community both safety and the ability to really look down upon the city.

• townie

Let's face it, folks…New Haven is a "company town" and Yale is it. You gotta play ball with Big Blue.

• resident

Der81, I'm sure that your attitude is really contributing to the New Haven economy and to Yale. Yale does not own the city, but the two have to work together, and Yale does have the responsibility of ensuring its students are safe. Also, in terms of promoting its own self-interest, Yale needs to invest in making its campus much more walkable before it expands. Otherwise the intimate campus that we now experience, one that is easy to walk across in a few minutes, will be splintered. Obviously the loss of cohesiveness that the new colleges might create is a major concern among students and faculty.

• injuries

der81, traffic injuries annually kill 45,000 Americans, hospitalize another 350,000 (with an average stay of 10 days) and send 2,000,000 to visit a doctor. Many more are never reported, even though they cause significant problems. The cumulative cost to society of all of these injuries is in the hundreds of billions of dollars. The sad thing is, almost all of them are entirely preventable.

New Haven easily has 500-1,000 significant traffic-related injuries per year (basically its share of the national average, although much more heavily concentrated among pedestrians than the national average), and actually probably more given that most are not reported. A large number of those incidents are very serious, and many occur on or near the Yale campus.

Just browse through the YDN archives for a list of several students hit and almost killed (or in one case, killed) within the past few years -- that's just the tip of the iceberg since many more, even two that we know of that led to lengthy hospitalizations -- were never even reported in this newspaper.

By improving traffic safety around the campus through targeted road improvements similar to what they use everywhere else -- see https://cms.amherst.edu/offices/facilities/capital_projects/project_archives/crosswalks_spleasant -- Yale could easily prevent hundreds of citywide injuries over the course of a year or two, and save many lives over the lifetime of the improvements. Yale has built up significant political capital within the city; now is the time to use it by demanding safer streets. Yale can demand change, such as 15mph zones around its campus, and refuse to build any new buildings in New Haven until all changes are immediately put into place.

President Levin needs to take action to prevent further injury and death within the Yale community. Not to do so is unethical.

It is true that Yale intrudes on pedestrian territory, pushing pedestrians out into the traffic or herding them through feedlot-style channels. But local drivers are also part of the problem. They need to actually stop at crosswalks or be penalized for failing to.
    They also need to make space for cyclists to get off the sidewalks.
    I sympathize with jaywalkers fed up with abuse from lawless drivers throughout New Haven.
    Where is the law when you need it?

I have been nearly hit many times by cars that cannot see me, and that I cannot see due to construction vehicles and badly placed blue-screen fences. Whoever the university employs for construction logistics is obviously not very good at it.

New Haven drivers flagrantly run red lights; New Haven cops (unsurprisingly) do nothing about it. Actually enforcing traffic laws at two or three key intersections might make a difference. Genius.

Bad drivers are an issue, but let's face it, everyone here (esp the studdents and myself included) jaywalk.

• driver

New Haven cops run the lights too. Citizens need to be outraged about this and take action. Otherwise, nothing will happen.

• James

This initiative exists for one reason: the relationship between Yale and New Haven. For what it's worth, Yale is the very loud whisper that New Haven should often listen to, and the city, realistically, isn't that big or over run by cars.

Now, if Columbia decided to petition New York City to make the city streets safer, I'd imagine NYC's response would be three letters:
    "lol"

People need to be safer in their habits. The drivers, obviously. But the Yale campus is infamous for being a place where people jump out like rabbits.

it is absolutely beyond belief that this city does not have bike lanes - with so many people commuting on two wheels it is a no brainer that the city needs to paint bike lines and recognize this important method of transportation. furthermore, the cops need to enforce traffic laws and fine people who are running red lights and speeding!

Try the crosswalk on Grove St at the New Haven cemetary. Or the crosswalk on Trumbull St at Lincoln. Cars don't stop, cops don't care.

Try the sidewalk along the cemetary from SSS to Malone and see how many speeding cyclists run you onto the road. No cyclist lane is no excuse. Pass Malone and there's no pedestrian lights or crosswalk at the busy intersection with Trumbull. Look down and see the canal that you can't get to without a long detour. Couldn't there be a staircase right there in front of Malone?

Try the sidewalks around Old Campus and dodge Yale's groundkeeper cars, plus see them go the wrong way up one-way streets. See Yale police and security cruising along in front of SML because it's just too far for them to walk.

The problem goes far beyond the construction works that push pedestrians out into the traffic and block visibility for both pedestrians and drivers. Yale and New Haven obviously don't care about pedestrians. They probably never did.

• CT hates pedestrians but that doesn't mean Yal

Shouldn't the university sustainability office be fully supporting something like this?

I think they are supporting it already, but much more needs to be done, and much more urgently…. before even more students/staff are killed or injured. It needs to come from President Levin and apply to all city and state streets around the campus, not just a few areas here or there that the sustainability office thinks should have a bike lane or ped signal.

Put in the traffic calming now, even if you have to use concrete barriers or speed bumps. You can always remove it later when a better solution is found. It's discouraging to see the university and the city stalling on improvements and going through a long-term pedestrian planning process when changes need to be made immediately.

• anonymous

Pedestrian education of Jay Walking and the responsibilities of pedestrians needs to be a focus as well. Also, putting in Walk cycles on the existing signals would greatly improve the safety at the Canal/Prospect/Trumbull intersection. Vehicle traffic is often blamed for occurences involving pedestrians, but there are rules for pedestrians, too.

• Deolo87

A few things seem obvious:
    1. Close High St through old campus. It carries little traffic, but enough you have to be careful. Plant plants down the middle with bike lanes down both sides. DeStefano says he won't close streets? If that is what he says, screw him. I have been to New Haven many times, and without Yale is would blow away in the wind. Any reasonable city would be agreeing to any reasonable safety request of Yale. So Yale, make these requests, and NH accommodate then.
    2. Old Campus students: Don't jaywalk. Too damn dangerous for the risk. Branford 2011 girl nearly killed last year.
    3. Enforce all the traffic laws rigorously around Yale. Local drivers will get the message quickly.
    4. Yale: Consider a few tunnels or sky bridges(with card access of course). If you can do a boondoggle 2 college expansion, you can do this to help keep current students safe.

• yak

everyone is responsible for trying to ensure their own safety, but at a wider level, society is responsible for eliminating unreasonably high levels of risk. government spends billions reducing the threat from contaminated/polluted food, but almost nothing eliminating some of the risks contained within our public infrastructure.

i'd say the fact that close to 200,000 pedestrians have died since the 1970s in the USA (5,000 per year), plus another 2,000,000 drivers (40,000 per year), indicates that the risk levels are far too high. everyone has friends and family who have been killed or seriously injured. people make mistakes. blind people can't see and can't hear priuses. children run into the street. people occasionally have bad days and don't pay attention. people get excited about their friend getting married and make the mistake of sending text messages while driving.

but just because people make mistakes, doesn't mean that they should automatically die or kill someone else.

90% of the injuries and deaths on our streets are completely preventable using only minor changes to infrastructure and policy, changes that will have practically no impact on commuting times (in fact, they'll probably increase efficiency by encouraging more people to walk, bike or take transit). the other 10% are almost entirely preventable using new technologies, such as driver awareness sensors and mandatory air bags on the outside of cars.

we owe it to ourselves and our community to take immediate and urgent action to stop the carnage on our streets. and unfortunately, that carnage includes the dozens of yale students and staff who have been hit and seriously injured or killed over the past few years.

• New2Town

I just moved here, and I am appalled by how unsafe the streets are here. I stood at a crosswalk on campus, making it very obvious that I wanted to cross the street. I counted 43 cars that passed me by without stopping or even slowing, including 2 cops.
    So, to posters complaining about jaywalking - yes, it's a problem, but go for a walk, and you'll see why it's happening.
    This is not a Yale vs. everybody else issue. People should be safe when walking down the street, period.

• gussr

#12- See the Yale buses and security cars driving lazy students a block on campus. See the bicyclists get run down in the street, pedestrians are softer if you hit them. See the Yale students hit in the head by construction debris if we don't close the sidewalk. All of these issues can be solved by simply looking where you're going, and actually walking to your destination!

• grad student

People just need to stop jaywalking all the time…oh wait, I'm sorry, I was promoting personal responsibility, gasp…what I meant to say is, ‘We need more government to solve this problem! Yes we can!’

• NicB

Well, maybe if this campus were actually pedestrian friendly we wouldn't need to jaywalk… this is a university and a walkable downtown, not a freeway. Pedestrians should take priority. Period.

Start by closing high street to automobile traffic (at least near old campus). No matter what DeStefano says, that does NOT take it away from the public/city/non-university and give it to the university. It remains just as public to all New Haven residents as it did before…it just becomes a better public space, free of cars!

Ideally Chapel and Elm would also be pedestrianized throughout campus, but I Imagine this would be a big problem for drivers - even though such pedestrianization works great in many other cities. In any case, there are definitely ways to improve the pedestrian realm without shutting it off to car traffic. Make the sidewalks wider. Improve plantings and street furniture. Slow the cars down to 25, etc.

This city has the potential to be beautiful and a wonderful place to live: if, (among other things), we return much of the public realm to the pedestrian.

• alum'98

I agree, NicB! It would be a better place, plus, fewer students would be getting regularly killed.

Yeah people should not jaywalk but anyone that has crossed college and north frontage know that this is a horrible intersection and a crosswalk should definitely be put in. I have seen atleast 10 near miss accidents.

• yayayayle

Let's not forget about the brilliant opportunity to address the problem in the late 90s that Rick Levin squandered. Lee Bass and family were planning to give Yale + New Haven a mid-nine figures sum to consolidate the whole area around Old and Cross and some parts of Central campus and reroute traffic. Before giving that money, the Basses gave a smaller sum to Yale in support of old school Western Civilization classes. Levin, without obtaining the donor's permission, rerouted those funds to support something else like Women's Studies. The Basses found out, got pissed off, demanded the return of their money, and cancelled their larger planned gift. That is why today you still see cars running people down between Saybrook and Trumbull college instead of Yalies playing ultimate frisbee.

• gracias

That's great, yayayayle. Downtown New Haven would be an urban oasis if you removed Elm Street and had blocks of green campus with bubbling brooks and frisbee games. It would benefit students and also the whole city, since more tourists would come to walk around a place like that. Look at the walkable parts of New Haven already, are doing well, while the crappy areas are the ones with busy pedestrian-deathtrap streets like Elm, Church and Frontage.

• anonymous

Don't jaywalk? How can you not jaywalk when the sidewalks are blocked and the cars refuse to stop at marked crossings?
    Traffic in this city is lawless. I am glad that someone is trying to do something about it.

Even without jaywalkers the danger is still high. Drivers don't respect marked crosswalks and sometimes don't respect lights. Visibility is blocked by trucks and construction fences. Sidewalks are blocked or restricted by dumpsters and building supplies and trash. Yale service carts and Yale cycle police ride on sidewalks and the wrong way up one-way streets. There are a lot of people at fault here including those who are supposed to be upholding the laws that they're breaking.

• Lorimer

It is no secret that the volume of pedestrian accidents is alarming. There are no arguments that something must be done to stop sending people to their graves regardless of their age or status. Steps must urgently be taken to reduce this annual fiasco of over 6,000 mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends and relatives who's lives are being snuffed out each year thus leaving family and friends grieving, As well as more then 15,000 severely wounded, never to recover. The question is can that frightening predicament be solved? The answer is 90 percent of these calamity's can be avoided. Many accidents earns unjustified the term "accident" but should rather be called homicide. A substantial amount of accidents can be credited to bad traffic laws. As a driver for 10 years who is constantly on the road, and as a "safety" activist who wrote many articles in various newspapers regarding "safety" matters, I would like to share my opinions. I strongly urge everyone who has the authority, to help enforce my suggestions, thus saving countless lives.

One of the most crimes on our world is the fact that a pedestrian has no right to cross the street. The sign may say walk, but a vehicle comes speeding from the other street and turns in. it won't be exaggerated to say, that, (in smaller streets) it is safer to cross in the middle of the street then by the corner. By the corner you have no control whatsoever what is going on in the other street. The law is very dry. "If the pedestrian is on the road the vehicle must stop", but parked vehicles are blocking the whew, and the only time the driver of that vehicle gets to know that he must stop is only when he gets to the intersection and he sees the pedestrian. Should a law like this be a called, "a protection for pedestrians?" that a driver who runs a 3,000 pound of metal and plastic at a speed of 25 M.P.O. should be told to stop at a range on 10 – 20 ft. (only by bigger avenues, the light will be red for both sides of the street while pedestrians are crossing.) I am shocked to see on the internet one accident after the other from vehicles that turned into a street and knocked down a pedestrian in the crosswalk. The driver claimed that the pedestrian wasn't in the middle of the road when he arrived at the intersection, and the pedestrian is dead and doesn't say anything, and the joke goes on. What it's worrisome, is the fact that even if the driver of the turning vehicle is careful, hazards will remain. Consider that one. Here is a two-way street and a driver wants to make a left turn, so he waits for a gape in the lane of the opposite direction. Traffic is busy and let the anxious driver wait for a while thus holding up a huge line of cars (and many times there horn honking is like a big orchestra) who are making his nerves dissolving. Finely some gape is created. The anxious driver accelerates franticly and makes his turn. In the same time a pedestrian is in the crosswalk. What is going to happen? Will signs on the street urging drivers to "stop for pedestrians" prevent anything? I myself had recently such awful story when I once made a left turn from a two-way street. I always use extra caution so I still managed to stop, but many drivers would already hit the two girls who were on there way home from school.
    The concern is even further, people feel that they are not safe in the crosswalk, so they end up jaywalking which decreases safety and increases accidents. We must make crosswalks really safe so a responsible lady or gentlemen have a choice to cross the street safely.

There are some laws, that, although they are vital, they are never heeded by drivers. As a school bus driver, I always look at other school buses as they pull out of a parking by the school and must back up, that they aren't going to the back of the bus to see if somebody is behind. The law in the book is very firm not to back without doing this procedure. In the mid of December '08, a lady was crushed to dead because of that. One most not be very smart to understand that backing a large vehicle while relying just on the side-whew mirrors is like driving half blind. You never know what's behind you. It is not school buses who commit this crime, from all of the many thousands larger vehicles who fill the streets in New York, you won't found even 1 percent who will go out to make sure nobody is behind. The question is why the law is not issuing tickets to such violators. The only thing which scares drivers, is, tickets. People who got killed don't matter. Yung kids, who will be left in a coma for their entire life, won't make people change their driving habit, the silly 150$ will do it, it seems that this vital rule (to walk to the back before reversing) is just a mere recommendation.

Most laws which are written in the driver's manual are essential for "safety". These laws are supposed to refrain those fast moving heavy pieces of metal and plastic, from destruct whatever comes in their way. Hence it is no question regarding the necessity of traffic laws, what needs to be challenged, is, the enforcement of these regulations. I see all kinds of violations not on daily bases, but on minute bases. From passing school buses to, passing a street light. From entering a bike lain (to pass other vehicles) to backing out from one street to another. From being engrossed in a hand-cellphone Conversation, to riding at 40 M.P.O. in 20 M.P.O. zone. Why is all this happening? Perhaps, the law enforcement should be multiplied. A) It seems that it must be 5 times the amount of traffic officers, and maybe things will start to get in place. The money to finance that huge army can be driven from the ticket itself. (Plus penalty charges for not paying the ticket in time) I also suggest that instead of issuing so many parking tickets, moving violations should be the priority. The slightest moving violation is doing more harm then most of parking violations. B) Cameras should be installed at many intersections. C) False cameras which is not expensive should be seen everywhere, to scare reckless drivers.

Please read my suggestions about the subject written above, plus other safety points.

Crosswalks
    1) Lights at intersections must give a minute for "safe pedestrian crossing". This means, that it must be red for vehicles of both sides of the street when the pedestrian has walk. (or should a law be passed that every vehicle must come to a full stop before turning regardless if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk or not.)
    1-A) The time of pedestrian's right of way should be estimated by elder people. The sign should say walk as long as it takes an 80 year old men to cross that street.
    2) In a crosswalk where it already happened an accident, a bump on the road should be build, sufficient enough to force vehicles physically to slow down. If several accidents occurred in the same crosswalk, the crosswalk should be removed from the intersection @ be placed in the middle of the street.
    3) Wide crosswalks where people have to cross more then four lanes should have a 4 ft. wide platform in the middle.
    4) A road without a sidewalk is a potential danger. In a residential area it shouldn’t be a road without sidewalk at least 4 ft. wide.
    (Bumps on the road are extremely safety-friendly, and should always be considered and encroached in residential places.)
    5) Many motorists are waiting at red lights in the crosswalk. a substantional amount of motorists don’t acknowledge the crosswalk as a place designated exclusively for pedestrians. I suggest to ticket such drivers.
    School bus safety
    1) The laws regarding school bus safety must be reconsidered. Too many drivers are passing school buses. The law of “stopping for a school bus with the lights on,” is containing some unnecessary abuse to the traffic which causes to reduce the respect towered school buses. For example, to keep up a whole line of cars while loading-unloading an entire bus with dozens of children when they don’t have to cross the street will only make matters worse. (However, this must be considered carefully. I had plenty times that kids have darted out in the gutter which wasn’t a pleasant experienced.)
    2) If the child is waiting on the opposite side of the street (the child will have to cross the street), then the bus should position in an angel to block the street before picking up or letting down. To rely upon the red fleshers means jeopardizing the life of the child! Cars keep on passing school buses with the red fleshers on, willingly or while being distracted. Only the frame of the bus will protect the children.
    3) Never should a driver stay at a bus stop with his lights off. When a child sees the bus, he/she will come running. A driver shouldn’t think he had trained the children not to come before signaling. If he is running early, he should pull aside 100 ft. before the stop and wait for the exact time. Staying at a stop with the lights off is a mortal danger. It’s the worst mistake a school bus driver can make.
    4) Many motorists would stop for school buses but cant withstood the honking horns from cars behind. Honking a horn on a driver who stops for a school bus is the same sin as passing, and should be handled so.
    5) A bus driver can't show for cars to pass. The child interoperates it as a signal to come. It also takes away the authority of police officers. Many times when a police officer tickets someone for passing a school bus the passer claims that the bus driver signaled him to pass. The bus driver who knows the passer and don’t want to buy an enemy will agree to the arbitration. I personally know several of such incidents. The law which permits for drivers to signal for cars to pass is a mistake.
    6) Every bus must be equipped with a stop arm. It will reduce the number of violators to half.
    7) As of now, the law doesn’t require from school buses to have a stop arm. Many drivers that are passing school buses are just distracted. A stop arm reduces school-bus-passers, and should therefore be a must.
    8) Power doors are not safe in school buses. The bus driver must have the option to open the stop arm (to stop oncoming vehicles) without opening the door, which will cause the children to come before the traffic is stopped. (As of now, drivers are trying to stop traffic with the yellow flashers, but that only causes the opposite. Cars are speeding up to still-make it before the stop arm opens up. Many kids were killed when they dart out in the gutter on their way to the bus, and the stop arm wasn't open. I had two bad near-accidents where the child almost got killed. I had my lesson. I always release the latch of the door before I come to a full stop, [you can't do that with power doors] so the arm comes out. By the time the child sees the bus stopped, traffic is stopped to. [I also position the bus in an angel to block traffic physically. It may not comply with the law, but it surely complies with those kids who got killed by cars that passed the school bus wile they were getting on-of the bus.])
    Other safety tips
    1) Tinted windows don't add to safety. Whenever a man puts his feet on the gutter, he must know if the driver seat (of the parked vehicle he must go in front [or behind]) is occupied. I myself had 5 cases where I let down children from my bus, and all of a sudden the vehicle in front started to back. One time he stopped just when he was about to hit the child. I always try to look inside the vehicle the kids will have to go behind, but the windows that were tinted like paint, denied any view.
    2) As of now, a motorist who kills a person while driving reckless, will get a tiket… The biggest crime in the universe is driving reckless, This is truly homicide. A driver who is submitting to he's anxiousness and does reckless things while maneuvering he's 2-3 thousand pound of metal and plastic, is a far more danger to the universe then a man who robes a bank. It is an earthshaking transgression, that one can kill innocent people while committing a reckless act, and will be punished with a 150$ fine. Will g-od forgive us for that? A law of making the committing a reckless act, equivalence to pulling a trigger of a gun, must be passed.
    3) As mentioned above, there are laws that are written in the driving manual, but violators are not subject to tickets if they violate it. I require enforcing all those laws in a way that drivers should be ticketed for violating them.
    4) A law should be passed, that no vehicle is allowed to park double 50 ft. close to a crosswalk. Double parked vehicles, block the sight of pedestrians from seeing oncoming traffic, as well as the sight of oncoming traffic from seeing crossing pedestrians. (You can always see delivery trucks that salve the parking problem by parking in the crosswalk, thus blocking entirely the way for pedestrians. Where are the ticket writers? They are not to be found. You will only find them by street cleaning violations, not by things regarding safety.)
    5) The new technology of vehicle who ride very silent (older vehicles’ are more nosy), cause people not to hear the sound of a backing vehicle. A law should be past that every vehicle regardless of the size, most have an installed backing-alarm.
    6) Every driver must take a 6 our "pedestrian safety" class each and every year. The lessons should contain all sorts of hazards involving pedestrians. The class should be fallowed by a written test.
    7) Police officers who fight crimes aren't sufficient enough to fight traffic violations. A special unit, made out of a huge army of trained official's who's only task should be traffic crimes, will do the job. The finance source can be the money that the tickets will bring in.
    9) When you go to wallmart, you will see people who think they are driving in an open highway. A parking lot must be equipped with bumps at every 100 ft.
    10) The maximum speed limit in the U.S. and perhaps in the world is 65 M.P.O., why should vehicles be build to a maximum riding of over 100 M.P.O.? Emergency vehicles should need special permission for additional speed capacity.
    10-A) Vehicles shouldn’t have the capacity of backing more them 1 mile per our. Backing is always dangerous; let that hazard be reduced to a minimum.
    11) Those racing cars as corvette, e.t.s., belong in a racing car field. Why should vehicles have the capacity of rising from zero to 60 M.P.O. in 6 seconds? A pedestrian can be in the middle of the street and suddenly an excited youngster who just got his new toy wants to get the full satisfaction of his investment, and presses down on the gas. The poor pedestrian is running back to the sidewalk and gets killed by an other vehicle. The happy youngster doesn’t have the time to attend to the victim and zooms off….
    12) Many sanitation truck drivers are extremely reckless. They feel as tough they are protected because they are working for the city. No police officer wants to ticket them and they just do what ever they want. Passing lights - passing school buses - making u turns in a crosswalk while the light is red. (Is the best time to do it, Cars are stopped….) - in a small street they will turn in, in the wrong direction to be able to get to the next street without having to circle the street. Talking on a hand sel. While backing fast. Sanitation drivers must be educated on safe driving.
    13) Cameras should be installed at intersections in substantial amounts. The money should be funded from the tickets.
    14) In the winter, all vehicles must be equipped with snow tires. (All year tires are not really effective. Only snow tires will do the job.
    15) Every car has a feature that locks the wheels unless the key is in the ignition. It's ironic that a school bus which always has children on board lays free for every vicious child to release the parking brakes and to let this 25,000 lb. bus rolling freely. A law of installing this brake-lock feature on new @ older buses should be passed
    Laws for pedestrians
    1) Every pedestrian must wear a reflector from 8 a clock at night.
    2) Crossing the street wile talking on a hand sel. Is the same hazard (for him and for the husband of his wife @ the father of his children. [In many cases they also endanger the motorists who try to avoid them]) as driving with a hand sel. And should be treated the same.
    3) Once crosswalks will be safe, it will be justified to force people to use it.

The efficiency of the current system of crosswalks we had already seen. A number that ranges between 5 @ 6 thousand fatalities and approximate 70,000 wounded per year is far more then a waking call to look for a different solution. If it will be hard to bring fort all the recommendations mentioned above, at least let's start to steer in that direction.

• Pingback: New Mexico

• Pingback: cigarette electronique

• Pingback: ppc spain

• Pingback: compare car insurance

• Pingback: compare auto insurance quotes online

• Pingback: Mary Esther

• Pingback: really cheap auto insurance

• Pingback: read here

• Pingback: Alpine

• Pingback: auto insurance cheap

• Pingback: cheap car insurance in richmond va

• Pingback: limo hire London

• Pingback: Flint