Eli musician wins Pulitzer for opus

While David Lang’s MUS ’83 compositional style may be decidedly contemporary, his composing efforts have won recognition from an award steeped in tradition.

Lang was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in Music on Monday for his composition titled “The Little Match Girl Passion.” The piece, which was first performed at Carnegie Hall on Oct. 27, 2007, was inspired by the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale and follows the pattern of a piece by Johann Sebastian Bach. Composition professors familiar with Lang’s work praised his innovative ability to create unorthodox forms of music.

Lang is best-known for his involvement with “Bang on a Can,” a contemporary music organization committed to unconventional and innovative visual and performing art. He co-founded the group in 1987 along with Julia Wolfe and Michael Gordon. Lang also arranged the Requiem for a Dream Suite from Darren Aronofsky’s 2000 film for the Kronos Quartet.

“Little Match Girl” is about a poor girl whose father beats her and who freezes to death unsuccessfully attempting to sell matches on New Year’s Eve. Lang’s opus sets Andersen’s story in the format of J.S. Bach’s “Saint Matthew Passion” and employs only four voices, along with percussion instruments played by the singers.

After being informed that he had won the Prize on Monday, Lang told National Public Radio that he appreciates receiving the award, though he will not let it go to his head.

“I’m incredibly happy that someone noticed me and thinks that I am worth supporting, but that in no way means that the job of supporting composers is done,” he said.

Martin Bresnick, professor of composition and coordinator of the Composition Department at the School of Music, started teaching David Lang at Stanford University in 1972. Lang, 16 at the time, was Bresnick’s first student.

“He had everything it took to be a composer,” Bresnick said.

According to Bresnick, Lang’s parents met with him one day and asked if their son had any future in music. They were worried about his chances in the highly competitive field, and they also wanted him to be a doctor. The professor, to their disappointment, assured them that with his talent and ambition, their son would do very well in music.

“David says by now his dad finally agrees with me,” joked Bresnick, who said Lang’s reception of the Pulitzer was “extremely gratifying.”

Bresnick has watched the adolescent he knew at Stanford develop into the accomplished composer he knows today.

“From the very beginning, David had a very unique approach to composition,” Bresnick explained. “He always had a point, or view.”

He described his music as taking a distinct and lucid aesthetic.

“It’s really quite clear what he’s aiming at and what he’s going to be doing,” Bresnick said.

Ingram Marshall, a composition professor at the School of Music, said Lang’s willingness to take risks may not always be successful, but can produce exciting results.

“He takes one idea and sort of carries it out to an extreme,” he said.

Marshall said he is thrilled that Lang has won the prestigious award.

Bresnick emphasized that while Lang serves as a model for his students, he does not expect them all to be Pulitzer Prize winners

“David set the bar pretty high,” Bresnick half-jokingly tells his students.

• Brittanicus

The main culprits in entitlement programs are education for infants through k-12, the birthright citizenship law of the 14th amendment, the free hospital emergency room that has become a visit for sore throats and common flue. These subsidizing public services are by no means the limit to pandering to the illegal immigration invasion. Another massive disbursement is the criminal sewer rats, which also have made their way from our Southern border and even European countries. Last month, the Los Angeles County supervisor , Michael Antonovich, , released new statistics showing welfare costs for the children of illegal immigrants cost the county $600 million last year, up from $570 million in 2009, as reported by Fox News. Going beyond the cost of food stamps and welfare-style benefits through the state program CalWORKS to include the expenses of public safety and health care, the total cost for illegal immigrants to Los Angeles taxpayers for 2010 was more than $1.6 billion, not including education costs. Last week, the California Department of Education released data demonstrating that for the first time Latinos now make up the majority of California’s public school students, cracking the 50 percent barrier for the first time in state history, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Illegal aliens are reducing the retirement payments, pensions to our old folk. At http://tinyurl.com/5u8wc2n According to the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons Volume 10 Number 1 spring 2005 (the report on Illegal Aliens and American medicine) http://tinyurl.com/o6r27 defines the issue as a monolithic non-reimbursement concern of hurting hospitals across the United States. Illegal aliens are costing more than the prior Iraqi war as seen here, http://tinyurl.com/4ss2hzf There reports are just the tip of the iceberg. Removing illegal immigrants from America that we are feeding, housing and giving free hospital access, would go a very long way in saving bankruptcies in state treasuries and the federal failure of placing American taxpayers before nationals of other corrupt countries. Call your Senator or politician about illegal Immigration, and Amnesty at Washington switchboard to be connected at 202-224-3121.

No copyright ever. Distribute freely.

• Brittanicus

The American people complain all the time about the porous border, the Dream Act, Amnesty, Sanctuary cities and the mass emergence that are straining our welfare system for the instant citizenship of babies of illegal parents. Sanctuary states like California are truly in a terrible way, because the Sacramento Lib-Democrats have done nothing to stop welfare fraud and financial support of illegal immigrants. The majority of law abiding naturalized Americans and residents, who came here are honoring the laws of this great country. They have freedom of their religion and whatever their color, race or creed are not being hunted by ICE agents. Generation of legal people from South of our national border have joined the TEA party and other organization, because they too are frustrated since the illegal alien population explosion and do not deserve being connected with the illegal wrongdoer’s from whatever part of the world they hailed from? Legitimate Americans, green card holders, permanent residents of every kind are being branded with the same reputation and looked upon with disdain and anger. They too want no more amnesties or any special privileges from their indigenous countries people who entered illegally as they themselves have already assimilated, speak the common language, adjoined our culture and live amongst us, as one America.

In the past two years, as unemployment remained near 10 percent, more than 1 million immigrants, of whom 35 percent were undocumented or illegal, have gotten work in this country. The story is that in the past two years, U.S. business owners have chosen to go for discount immigrant help, while the economy as a hole has shed millions of jobs for U.S. workers. California has a 26 billion dollar drain in this once flourishing state, caused by the malfunction of ICE and homeland Security to remove the infestation of illegal families. The Federation for American Immigration Reform estimates that the cost of illegal immigration to the states stands at about $113 billion, with nearly half that amount going to education costs. It’s easily explained as one illegal worker slips past the border patrol, rents a home and then the whole family comes over the border. Then there is the problem with entry via a tourist or student visa, but with no intentions to return to their nation of birth.

• Brittanicus

Not much was said in the open sequence of President Obama’s State of the Union speech, relating to the mass invasion of illegal invaders. He described the crash of the Dream Act not being enacted, but nothing about the undercurrent of who pays for it, or immigration law allowing millions of more family members entering under the Chain Migration sponsorship. My attitude on illegal immigration doesn’t really matter as a blogger, however my deep rooted investigation of the truth does? There are hundreds of authentic reports on the Internet with a reality view of Congressional spending that includes States. Politicians like Sen. Harry Reid are the main cause of this nation’s demise through catering to the occupation of foreign intruders and stifling the use of a mandatory E-Verify employee verification program. These reports and articles come from not only Liberal sources, but the commercial and government archives.