Appointment of Tony Blair sullies University reputation

To the Editor:

Nothing other than expertise in the art of mendacity and duplicity qualifies Tony Blair to teach anything to anyone. Having someone who should be arraigned as a war criminal at the International Court of Justice at the Hague is a dubious distinction for Yale. Of course, history belongs to the victors.

But I thought we had come to a stage in civilization when the wrongs committed by leaders and governments would be recognized regardless of who the perpetrators were. Apparently, I was wrong.

Yale’s invitation to ex-British Prime Minister Tony Blair to teach at the schools of Management and Divinity next year is a disgrace and sullies the University’s reputation. Tony Blair, along with George W. Bush, was instrumental in the illegal and thoroughly immoral Iraq war. The Downing Street memos have revealed lies about Iraq’s non-existent weapons of mass destruction that Blair used to hoodwink the British parliament into going along with the Bush/Cheney campaign to control the Middle East’s precious oil at all costs.

In the five years of a brutal and bloody U.S./British occupation, thousands of innocent Iraqis have been killed, Iraq’s educational and utilities devastated and millions of Iraqis made refugees. And now Yale is going to have the “distinction” of honoring and compensating (very handsomely) a war criminal.

Sadu Nanjudiah

April 1

The writer is a resident of New Britain.

• The UK

What utter rubbish you speak!

• Arabella Mayer

Excellent letter. We over here in the UK just held a protest last night outside Westminster Cathedral where Blair was invited to speak on 'Faith and Globalisation' - imagine, a war criminal being asked to do such a thing!

The protest was big and loud and was aimed to drown out his hypocritical words.

I hope that students at Yale will not stand for this - Blair has the blood of a million Iraqis and Afghans on his hands and to be invited to teach students at one of the most prestigious universities in the world is an insult to all of our intelligence.

Good luck to all the students of conscience in driving out this warmonger.

• CR

I too am shocked that students at either campus (Mgmt or YDS) school would not at the very least do their own research on Mr. Blair before assuming that he possesses the kind of expertise on Faith to teach at Yale --especially at YDS! I truly believe that the entire student body (and Faculty) should begin a serious dialogue on this subject and come to terms with the complete paradox of Tony Blair teaching inter-religious understanding at Yale Divinity School.