Women’s Center calls Zeta Psi’s behavior ‘inexcusable’

Imagine, if you will, a winter night at Yale. A group of Caucasian students, perhaps intoxicated, perhaps just seeking good times, have gathered in front of a campus cultural house. They are pledges of the Yale chapter of a nationwide, all-white organization. According to plan, one whips out a digital camera. Another proudly clutches a type-written sign. Thrilled, the pledges crowd around the sign and smile lasciviously at the camera. They pose. A picture is taken.

The building: the Af-Am house. The sign: “WE LOVE YALE N-GGERS.”

If this happened, would an apology suffice?

This analogy is imperfect. It is only a crude attempt to portray the emotional and psychological violence of hate speech.

The gentlemen of Zeta Psi have apologized to “YALE SLUTS” — but only for what they thought they’d been caught for. They didn’t apologize for chanting “dick” outside the Women’s Center before their photo-op, and intimidating a female student from entering the Center (which, by the way, services rape victims — roughly 25 percent of women). They didn’t apologize for using the word “slut,” and being proud of it. They didn’t apologize for committing premeditated hate speech, for documenting that hate speech with pride, or for exalting it on Facebook.

And they didn’t apologize at all until we threatened legal action. The bigotry of Zeta Psi is unexceptional. It is pervasive, at Yale and around the world. This sort of behavior has to change, everywhere, here, and right now.

These men’s behavior is inexcusable. They are amongst the most privileged boys on the planet, with access to the best education the world has to offer. They knew this was wrong. They knew why this was wrong. Yet it still happened. And it will continue to happen until systemic change is made.

Yale’s sexists love to say that feminists have no sense of humor. Here’s a good joke: lawyer up.

Presca Ahn, Hannah Burnett, Stacey Fitzgerald, Claire Gordon, Chase Olivarius-McAllister, Kathryn Olivarius, Liz Olson, Isabel Polon, Valerie Steinberg, Jessica Svendsen and Lorraine Van Kirk are the members of the Yale Women’s Center Board.

Agree with the sentiment of the article, of course, but this among[st] the worst writing I've seen in the YDN in a few months. Out of interest, is a Caucasian student the same as a white student? And what is either?

It's an opinion article… This is some of the worst writing? Please, at least they're not using Facebook quotes… Besides the point is clear: defamatory actions against another group should not be tolerated on a diverse campus or anywhere.

Well, from this we can deduce that Zeta did, in fact, get the Women's Center instead of the Writing Center. I mean, my fifth-grade sister's essays are more eloquent. Is this really the best a bunch of aggrieved feminists could do in an epic showdown against semi-illiterate meatheads?

Still not sure about the Women's Center's legal basis for a complaint. As Prof. Dunne might mention, this seems to be an example of parody rather than defamation or sexual harassment (in that the Women's Center crowd is surely not the same as the real "Yale sluts" that the Zeta Psi barbarians spend the most quality time with).

How great would it would have been if the Women's Center crew decided NOT to do what everyone knew they would (invoke the race card, rant about misogyny, declare the end of the world) and instead did something FUNNY in response, like dressing up outside Zeta in gorilla suits with a sign that said, "We love Yale Intellectuals"?

Agreed. The writing is sensationalist. I don't think the WC should be so gung-ho about this in an editorial two days after the fact, and I don't think they've actually sought legal counsel yet - otherwise they would have known to contact the administration BEFORE sending out a mass email and writing to the YDN. They clearly don't understand know how to file a class-action suit nor do they understand how difficult it would be to frame this as harassment against all women.

I also dislike the racial analogy, and don't think that qualifying it with a statement about its crudeness actually justifies its use. The derivation of the racial epithet and its use is completely different than that of the word "slut." Why even make a comparison? Should not the situation of the WC ring strong enough on its own, without creating offensive analogies that are poorly described, inaccurate, and require mitigation by way of a crudeness apologium?

…that said, I agree with the WC's sentiment.

@ 7:31 am "How great would it would have been if the Women's Center crew decided NOT to do what everyone knew they would"

I think a lawsuit falls under that category, no?

Gee… Contrast this with the infamous "Facebook Rapist" episode, wherein members of the Women's Coalition (or whatever it was called) posted random pages from Yale's facebook on poles around campus, blacking out the women's faces, highlighting the men's faces, and adding "POTENTIAL RAPIST" as a caption.

Where were the lawsuits? The human-rights outrage? I mean, that incident highlighted specific names & faces (versus some generic term with no associated identities).

Get over yourselves: you've lived about a quarter of your lives and have LOTS of REAL outrage ahead of you. Figure out what is important and what, while stupid/puerile/unimaginative, simply not worth your time.

"Lawsuits contemplated," indeed. Oi!

As an alum, I support the women's center and whatever action they take, but the analogy between "slut" and "n*gger" is not just "imperfect," but also offensive. First, it ignores and silences, as has so much white feminism, the voices of black women. But more generally, the struggles african american students - men and women - face at Yale are not so easily analogized to those faced by "women" at Yale, however broadly or narrowly defined and however much very real misogyny does exist on campus as exemplified by this fraternity. I would hope that in future statements the folks at the women's center would be more careful abuot how they treat race as a discursive category and historical construction…

I'm a parent: My support is with the women's center. I find the behavior of the boys (they're not 'men') absolutely appalling. Don't they have some homework that needs to be done? It sounds like they've got too much free time, and that --- coupled with their poor judgment…

Ah, the war of the sexes: of course, now some folks (you know, the most privileged on the planet) have legal access…

Some humor: "[The] former Women’s Center Public Relations Coordinator…[said in response to the chanting, that she used a different entrance] "because I recognized that as a single woman facing 20 to 25 frat boys, I wasn’t going to be able to enter the Women’s Center."

Yes, because chanting frat boys are known to accost women on the Yale campus (unlike the way men are free to walk on Cross Campus during the annual Speak Out).

This was my first experience knowing that misogyny does happen at Yale." Sure, if you can stretch mysogyny that far…

before …intimidating a female student from entering the Center [umm… while the student may claim to have been intimidated, it was internal, i.e., the frat boys were not targeting her. Small point--and one that will be denounced, surely…

"(which, by the way, services rape victims — roughly 25 percent of women). "

Oh please---back that up with some statistics, please! The stat is garbage on its face--even more so on the Yale campus. Your statement claims that 25% of women at Yale are rape victims: prove it!

"They didn’t apologize for using the word “slut,” and being proud of it."

Only offensive, really, if you belong to the club (and, ironically, if you belong, the term is likely not offensive); in other words, the epithet was likely a statement of fact (i.e., frat boys prefer a certain type of woman) rather than an insult or threat.

"They didn’t apologize for committing premeditated hate speech, for documenting that hate speech with pride, or for exalting it on Facebook."

Ah, the catchall "hate speech"; 'twill be the end of us all. When the courts some day come 'round again and use this very terminology against you, please recall your bright college years when you thrilled to the rally cry of "Hate speech!" Orwell's 1984 is gathering steam.

"The bigotry of Zeta Psi is unexceptional. It is pervasive, at Yale and around the world." No, your oversensitivy is pervasive… Life is SO short (you have NO idea just how short it is); exchange the jaundiced lens for one of rose, o future world titans: Yale is not your enemy.

"These men’s behavior is inexcusable."
    Why not simply pity the fools?

"They are amongst the most privileged boys on the planet, with access to the best education the world has to offer."
    Agreed on the first point--but no more so than you; the second point is debatable.

"[F]eminists have no sense of humor. Here’s a good joke: lawyer up."
    Oh, yes, THAT should serve well to build respect and harmony.

Funny: grown-ups face innumerable slights and outright insults on a daily basis. When the response is delivered from a position of strength (i.e., ignored), those of the victim class will cry "well of COURSE, only the powerful can safely ignore such things!" But such power is assumed, and it takes practice--and playing victim is not the appropriate path.

Ironically (and much like the professor at MIT who was sickened by Larry Summers' words), this simply proves the stereotype of overreactive, overemotional, hysterical, tender, sweet young things.

Future leaders? Bosh!

I think the Women's Center agrees with everyone that they too dislike the racial analogy. As they said it is "imperfect," but I know that it really jarred me and made me think about just how serious this action actually is.

terrible writing, semi-decent point. It's made so much worse by the playing of the race card.

PS: Racial epithets are not illegal, despite what the YWC might think. They picked a bad comparison.

i think what the wc should be saying is that not only would an apology not suffice in the racism instance, IT WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE. anonymously yes, as we have seen. but a picture? hell no. and while the two words obviously have drastically different histories and places in american culture, i think they're grasping for a way to communicate just how much meaning the word carries. and the reason they have to do that is because there's a huge number of people who don't see the word "slut" and its usage as offensive. you can disregard the lawsuit, but rational people should understand why the word is wrong. as we can see by the mood in some circles on campus, and PARTICULARLY the hateful comments on Ivygate, this just isn't the case. the execution may have been wrong, but i think this comparison was apt and necessary.

Some of these response are just pathetic. It deeply upsets me that the Women's Center's response is being met with such enmity. So early in the day, too.
    I think that the article's writers were trying, with their opening analogy, to shock those who give short shrift to issues like this into realizing the gravity of the situation. If they alienated anyone with their comparison, then that is most unfortunate, but it shouldn't obscure the seriousness of the offense committed by Zeta Psi.

tucker r-g

p.s. If you are going to complain about things like the quality of the article's writing then at least sign your own response. Otherwise it looks like you just have nothing to contribute to the discussion.

The response by the members of the Yale Women's Center Board must not be serious; maybe the irony is intended to be the joke?

The stupidity of posting the photo on facebook was the only offensive (to both parties) action in this incident. A photo, intended to be funny, and NOT intended to offend anyone, does NOT constitute harassment.

The fact that the photo could be misinterpreted is understandable, but the idea that someone would sue over it is COMICAL; it is more funny than the photo itself.

Let me pose this question; would you expect the entire body of male student-athletes to sue if women took a picture in front of the gym holding up a sign "we love dumb jocks!"? OBVIOUSLY NOT. Especially if the photo was taken as a joke, not to be seen by any male athletes. I am sure that this photo was taken under the assumptions no one would see it, and some individual did indeed have a lapse in judgment and posted it on the internet. That is the only action that deserves criticism.

lets not muddy up the issue which is:

the zeta psi toddlers were/are complete idiots.

Privileged, white, sexist, and bored. Enough said. These pathetic little white boys (and some of the obviously sexist and egomaniacal men who have commented on this site) have never had to deal with gender, racial, physical, or sexual adversity. It must be nice to be a Yale Man. Lawyer up? I hope so. Do they need to be shut down? YUP! Maybe then they would get the discipline and learn the moral lessons that Mumsy and Daddykins never saw fit to teach them.

RE: "How great would it would have been if the Women's Center crew decided NOT to do what everyone knew they would"

-

why is the weight of responsibility on members of the women's centre?

here's an idea. how guhreat would it be if frat boys and zeta psi bucked the stereotype and "decided NOT to do what everyone knew they would" like not be complete thugs chanting "Dick dick dick" in front of the Yale Women's Centre?

now theres an idea!!!

Response to post at 9:24 AM--

Your defense of Zeta Psi's actions is appalling. Your attitude is part of the problem that the Women's Center is trying to address.

As an example: you asked the Women's Center to prove the 25% rape victim statistic.

Firstly, check the National Crime Victimization Survey, or a number of scholarly articles on the subject (I would recommend Dr. John Foubert), which explain and support that number.

Secondly, consider what you're actually asking. On one level, the traumatic nature of rape makes it extremely difficult for survivors to admit it to friends or authorities, let alone strangers and anonymous posters such as yourself.

On another level, what you're asking represents the very reason why sexual assault is a misunderstood social issue: survivors are blamed, not believed.

The remainder of your post underscores the very subtle but very real attitudes of misogyny in our society that reinforce rape myths and lead fraternity men to pose in front of the Women's Center with a sign that turns such subtle attitudes into offensively blatant imagery.

I find the following things wrong with the Yale Women's Center:

1. There's no Yale Men's Center. Sexism much? [I'm a woman]
    2. You can't sue someone for calling an entire gender "sluts" - thank God for the first amendment.
    3. The writing in this article is horrible (although no worse than Zeta Psi)
    4. Most Yalies don't know that the YWC helps rape victims. Moreover, that is not their primary purpose at all and claiming that it is their primary purpose is a gross misrepresentation.
    5. Racial slurs disparage a race. "Sluts" is a behavioral slur against promiscuous girls. YWC never establishes that Zeta Psi was calling all Yale girls "sluts" - maybe they were just mocking the ones who show up to their parties (?)
    6. Frat boys are by and large meathead idiots.
    7. Militant feminists give a bad name to equality.
    8. The best thing the YWC could do at this point would be to back off their threat of legal action and instead work within the context of the University to make sure Zeta Psi is disciplined.
    9. The YWC does not represent women any more than Zeta Psi represents men. I am offended that a pro-abortion group of militant feminists purports to speak for me.
    10. Women are 50% of the Yale population. They're not a minority. There's no patriarchy here. We straight women are actually, sexual orientation-wise, a plurality at Yale. The victim card is so overblown.

I wasn't convinced that a lawsuit was justified. But seeing that most people have nothing better to do on this thread than criticize… this op-ed's WRITING style (!!) I realize that systemic change is really needed.

"Privileged, white, sexist, and bored. Enough said. These pathetic little white boys…"

I truly, honestly, and sincerly thought that this was going to be a note regarding Yale's Feminists.

Privileged, white, sexist, and bored--that about sums it up.

When I read about "moral lessons that Mumsy and Daddykins never saw fit to teach them," I veritably laughed out loud!

"Mirror, mirror…"

does this mean that the Women's Center is going to sue Rumpus for printing shirts that have the word, "Sluts," emblazoned across the front?

where's the consistency?

Look, as a senior, white male, I agree that what Zeta Psi did was certainly stupid and definitely offensive to the YWC, but I think a lawsuit is a little too extreme and might have the opposite effect of actually turning public opinion against the YWC.

I think a more appropriate penalty would be for Yale or the Zeta Psi national organization to suspend the Yale chapter for either a semester or a full academic year, and have those involved in the photograph perform some sort of community service in a domestic abuse shelter for battered women.

to 1:24

Most balanced, succinct, and insightful analysis yet.

Brava!

Do YDN reporters actually consider themselves journalists? They could have done so much better with this article by writing more facts and less opinion

… you're commenting on an op-ed, kid…

From 9:24

"Your defense of Zeta Psi's actions is appalling."

I did not defend them; their behavior was stupid and puerile--it just was not necessarily indicative of misogyny, and CERTAINLY not worthy of Chicken Little lawsuit.

"Your attitude is part of the problem that the Women's Center is trying to address."

Re-educate, you mean (be honest, Brownshirt).

"Firstly, check the National Crime Victimization Survey, or a number of scholarly articles on the subject [re: 25% rape of Yale undergraduate women]."

They surveyed Yale? I specifically stipulated that the statistic, as written, is applied to Yale undergraduate women (not that that matters, because the stat is bogus no matter HOW applied).

"the traumatic nature of rape makes it extremely difficult for survivors to admit it to friends or authorities, let alone strangers and anonymous posters such as yourself."

A) Feminist "logic"? You mean, you can't PROVE the stat but you are SURE SURE SURE it is right? Now you know why Women's Studies majors are not allowed to design airplanes…

"survivors are blamed, not believed."

How on EARTH do you infer that from my comments? Rape is a horrific crime, worthy of the starkest penalties. Making absurd claims such as 1 in 4 at Yale have suffered rape only CHEAPENS the magnitude for ACTUAL victims.

If you could put aside your capital "F" Feminist dogma (as opposed to ACTUAL feminism, i.e., that women are fully capable of making informed choices in the world, hold leadership positions, and do darn near whatever they please without legal impediment), then perhaps you could examine, heck, maybe among your friends, the patent absurdity of the ONE in FOUR statement. When you sit in your dining hall at dinner, perhaps next to the Women's Hockey team, are you suggesting that 25% of them have been raped? (yes, that IS what you are not just suggesting but STATING. Actual stat is more like 3-5% raped, with abotu 12% victimized/harrassed in some other way).

You have no perspective, no sense of the absurdity of your position.

Unless, of course, you stretch the definition of rape (as does Foubert and Yale Womyn) to include, e.g., taunts, teasing, and other such activity.

I prefer Sommer's "Who Stole Feminism?" She analyzes (that's ANALYZE, you know, rational review, testing, that sort of thing) the statistic. Some findings are below; I do not expect you (or any in your cohort) to read or understand the statistical analysis--much less accept it. Indeed, you can stop reading now.

But the analysis is beside the point. I state again: rape is a terrible crime; too terrible to be cheapened by petty cries and slights.

And your undoubted response of "Misogynist!" is already boring me: I rather doubt my wife, my college-aged daughters, my boss, or my employees would do anything other than agree with my response to your hysterics (indeed, several of the abovementioned already find many of the responses here "quaint" and "rather charming"--but the irony of their assessments escapes you, no doubt).

----

"The one-in-four statistic, Sommers found, was derived from a survey of 3,000 college women in 1982[!]. Researchers used three questions to determine if respondents had been raped: Have you had sexual intercourse when you didn't want to because a man gave you alcohol or drugs? Have you had sexual intercourse when you didn't want to because a man threatened or used some degree of physical force… to make you? And, have you had sexual acts…when you didn't want to because a man threatened to use some degree of physical force… to make you?

Based on women's responses, researchers concluded that 15 percent of women surveyed had been raped and 12 percent had experienced an ATTEMPTED rape [now lumped into rape itself, of course]. Therefore, 27 percent of women — more than one in four — were either the victims of rape or attempted rape. This is the origin of the one-in-four statistic.

Yet other data from that same survey undercut its conclusion. While alcohol surely plays a part in many rape cases, the survey's wording invites the label of rape victim to be applied to anyone who has ever drank too much, had a sexual encounter, and then regretted it later. In addition, only 25 percent of the women whom researchers counted as being raped described the incident as rape themselves. The survey found that four in ten of the survey's rape victims, and one in three victims of attempted rape, chose to have intercourse with their so-called attacker again. The survey researchers scratched their heads as to why these women would return to their attackers, but Sommers asks the obvious question: "Since most women the survey counted as victims didn't think they had been raped, and since so many went back to their partners, isn't it reasonable to conclude that many had not been raped to begin with?"

Correcting for the biases in the original survey yields a radically different picture of the prevalence of rape in America. Subtract the women identified by the alcohol and drug question and those who didn't think they had been raped, and total victims fall to between 3 and 5 percent of the women surveyed. This remains an alarmingly high number, but significantly less alarming than the one-in-four figure.

It certainly is possible that this revised estimate understates the frequency of rape — women may be reluctant to admit having been violated even in an anonymous survey. Another study, for example, found that one in eight American women — about 12 percent — had been victimized.

I do not think that we need these boys doing community service in a battered women's shelter. Maybe they would learn something, but I'm more concerned for the (mental) wellbeing of the victims in the shelter.

@1:34: "…a pro-abortion group of militant feminists…"

Hardly. When the Women's Center decides to get militant, gimme a call and pass the slingshots.

j/k..ish.

--Camille

Wow. Well, there go all my lofty notions of Yale being a place of study, respect, and intelligence. Obviously it's filled with horny bastards, too. I'll be choosing an all-women's school, thank you.

I side with the Women's Center. I can clearly see how a group of fraternity boys thought this would be funny: teenage boy crude humor… and that is precisely why a strong reaction is necessary. For too long this kind of humor has been tolerated in pop culture, and I'm glad to see the Women's Center members are not "dressing up outside Zeta in gorilla suits " as one commenter mentioned, which would be treating this like the joke these boys so obviously thought it was.

It seems to me that anytime the Women's Center or other activists take action, or are even mentioned, they get torn to bits.

We all have our opinions, some more militant than others, but I simply cannot believe--given my own experience with male friends, my experience and those of female friends with assault and yes, rape (at Yale)--that people here believe that we have actually achieved equality.

I'm a self-possessed senior girl and am still regularly made uncomfortable by the words and actions of guys towards me--both friends and strangers.

There are deeply ingrained ideas of gender and sexual roles that need to be addressed. Perhaps the lawsuit isn't the best way, and I certainly don't think that Zeta Psi's activity was surprising or unusually appalling--but this is largely because there is a consistent and unrecognized undercurrent of sexism in our society and within our school.

Any of you women who feel you've never encountered sexism or misogyny might take some time to consider how you see your role as a woman, and how men treat you and why.

to 4:11 and many others:

as a Yale woman who has been raped, your statements are insulting and pretty false. the number of friends I have who have had a similar experience is striking. it's comments like yours that make women feel ashamed and not want to come forward.

"I'm a self-possessed senior girl and am still regularly made uncomfortable by the words and actions of guys towards me--both friends and strangers."

I'm a self-possessed senior myself (but of the AARP variety)--and I am still regularly made uncomfortable by the words and actions of humans in general, regardless of their sex (or any other factor).

It is part of life. Believe me: you are now surrounded by the best bubble (over-achieving, thinking, relatively healthy and physically fit) of a cohort that you will ever again enjoy. Breathe. Relax. See the bright side--because, well, people suck. You will later in life yearn, yes, yearn for the simple idiocy of the current hooha.

"Any of you women who feel you've never encountered sexism or misogyny might take some time to consider how you see your role as a woman, and how men treat you and why."

What you are missing is that few women (or MEN) claim to have no experience with sexism or misogyny (or misandry or simply misanthropy)--the difference is that to suffer slight is part of the human condition: one can either be stopped dead and sidetracked (a la the procrastinative demons in The Phantom Tollbooth) or simply ignore such instances and succeed regardless (living well really IS the best revenge).

The irony of the cries of a bunch of over-privileged, generally white, generally or soon-to-be affluent YALIES cry cry crying about the obstacles arrayed against them is simply hilarious (you DO realize that the general populace is NOT your ally, you classist, intelletuallist pigdogs…get it?) although not quite so funny as GESO thinking that the unions are their friends…

ah, well… you'll figger it out some day I assume… (maybe when you have children).

How about not reading the sign and just getting on with your day… maybe instead of wasting time suing you could try to deal with the serious forms of sexism… like the tens of thousands of cases of female genital mutilation that go on every year.

To 11:33
    Right on! BTW, please broaden your scope: male genital mutilation (what some call circumcision) is even *more* prevalent.

Im new here… where is the Yale Mens Center?

Meanwhile rampant misandry goes unpunished and uncommented at Yale…

You crazy feminists need to realize that the emperor has no clothes. The lies that built feminism - 1. that men and women are equal and the same in every way, 2. gender is a social construct, and 3. men (as a whole) have systematically oppressed women historically (despite contradicting point 1, which would make such oppression impossible if both were interchangeable)

Maybe you should all come out of your ivory tower and see how pathetic a bunch of students of the most expensive, most prestigious university in the world look to us hillbillies, hicks and rednecks. It is clear to us that men and women are different, each with their own strengths/weaknesses necessary for human society to thrive by performing different but equally important tasks. Feminism is just man hating in the guise of diversity(i.e. think like me or we will re-educate/brainwash you to know what is 'good') by a bunch of women who disdain traditionally feminine pursuits.

As a simple woman, wife, mother, you all have never represented my best interests. Your misguided notions of how society ought to be (and blatant socialist attempts to impose your will on others through force of the lawsuit since most people disagree based on common sense) are more a threat to my well being than stupid comments of random drunks on campus.

By the way ladies, if you'd like men to treat you with respect, you might want to consider keeping your virginity. The removal of ethics from sexual behavior has reduced it to a biological function akin to taking a poop. You can't, no matter how much you whine, change human nature or how men think about women who give it up too soon. Don't like being called a sl*t or being pumped and dumped? Then treat men with respect and don't sleep with them casually. Problem solved. Show some dignity and self respect and you may be surprised by how well men treat you in response.

If not, you risk being 50 years old, bitter and childless with 50 cats.

I know you elitist feminists won't like what us ordinary women already know about the stronger sex. Sometimes old fashioned, conventional wisdom and values trumps an overpriced Ivy league degree in being content with how men work :)

I realize this puts the accountability on the woman for her own happiness and behavior. That is a big feminist no-no so this will never happen. These guys were just calling a spade a spade.

Actually, to be precise, the Zeta Psi pledges have access to the third-best education in the world.

Wow: I will NOT be suprised if, when I get home, I find out that the above two posts came from my wife! (She reads these too, when she needs a laugh.)

She's an uber-feminist of a sort you young'uns wouldna understand anyway: she rules, and our son and daughters are better for it.

This just in! The coal miners union has issued a statement of support for the poor, oppressed ladies of Yale. We are welcoming you, with arms wide open to the nice cozy coal mines in order to liberate you from such injustice. Since you have shed light on the great inequalities between the sexes, we realized that we have been hogging these nice, fun , cozy coal mines at the expense of your personal fulfillment.

Up next, the Male New York City Sewer works are startin a collection for the YWC…

• Stanford Girl

For the love of God, I am so incredibly happy I did not apply to Yale. You guys (the ones verbally attacking the Women's Center) are nuts.

First of all, just because the photo had an INTENDED comical effect doesn't, by any means, justify Zeta Psi's actions. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "Well it was just a joke…" Who gives a shit if the guys thought it was a joke? They were doing this crap outside of a rape crisis center because you know insulting assault victims is like, so funny, dude. This isn't even about feminism, it's about holding silly assholes accountable for their actions. They could have written that sign and posed ANYWHERE on campus (and it wouldn't have been as big of a deal), but they just had to choose the Women's Center. How tactful.

• TNGradStudent

Wrong article. Argh.

• Pingback: payday loans