Anti-immigrant propaganda deceives Yale workers

As reported by the News article “Workers urged to sign petition” (10/26) hatemongering and divisive methodologies have risen on campus in attempts to turn Yale workers against undocumented immigrants. The members of groups such as Community Watchdog Project (CWP) and the Southern Connecticut Citizens for Immigration Reform (SCtIR), Connecticut’s own version of the Minutemen Project, are not merely opposing programs like the municipal ID card program, but are employing deceitful and reactionary tactics such as harassing city hall clerks as they issue the Elm City ID card, demanding the names and addresses of municipal ID card holders, and now convincing Yale workers to turn against their union by dispelling incorrect messages about Latino immigrant workers. The outrageous propaganda spread by these groups of how undocumented immigrants are stealing jobs without paying taxes is only a product of their divide-and-conquer methods and is completely unacceptable in our community.

Groups like the CWP and SCtIR promote these myths as a means of raising antagonism against the undocumented, but facts and history disprove these claims by instead showing the many contributions these workers have made in the nation and the New Haven community.

All immigrants pay taxes, and in many ways offer more benefits to the United States, its labor force and its economy than they receive themselves. Tax payments from immigrants are consistently $20 to $30 billion more than the amount they receive in government services. As they find jobs in key sectors they contribute significantly to the U.S. economy as well as become members and allies of local workers’ unions. Since 1996, the percentage of foreign-born wage and salary workers in unions has risen from 8.9 to 12.3 percent in 2006.

In New Haven, Latino workers have demonstrated their solidarity with members of the Local 35 union. In 2003, during a strike held by Local 35 workers against the University, Latino scabs brought in to replace union members ended up joining the strike and supporting the cause of the African American workers. The majority of workers in UNITE-HERE, Local 35’s national union, are Latinos, and probably many of them are undocumented, which is one reason why UNITE-HERE has taken a strong stance nationally on immigration reform in support of undocumented workers.

Immigrants’ rights and workers’ rights are closely linked; a statement signed by many community leaders in New Haven, including the presidents of Local 34 & 35 and director of Local 217, declares that “no human being is illegal and no worker’s wages and conditions are secure as long as another worker’s vulnerability is exploited.” In trying to turn Yale workers against immigrant residents of New Haven, reactionary and racist groups are seeking to divide communities that, when they organize and unite around common issues, have the ability to affect real change in this city and in this country.

The tactics of groups like the CWP and SCtIR only seek to create divisions between the communities and thus cannot be tolerated.

As students and members of the Yale community, we stand absolutely against these hateful messages and divide-and-conquer methodologies being used on our campus. These practices, common amongst larger organizations such as the Minutemen Project, are disgraceful and unjust and we will not sit passively as fear-mongering and prejudiced groups like the CWP and SCtIR spread destructive messages aimed at New Haven residents.

In the spirit of Solidarity Week, we show support for undocumented workers and all efforts to assist in creating equal rights for them. The petitions and messages against them are not welcome on our campus, for they are against everything we stand for as members of the Yale and New Haven community. We wish to establish our campus as one that respects all the members of its community and refuses to accept any messages of intolerance on its grounds.

Robert Sanchez, a senior in Saybrook College, is a member of Coalition for Campus Unity. His opinion is endorsed by members of the following student organizations: Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, Black Students Alliance at Yale, Coalition for Campus Unity, Undergraduate Organizing Committee, Alianza, Yale Black Men’s Union, Yale Law Workers’ Rights Project, Muslim Students Association, Salt of the Earth, LGBT Co-Op, Jews for Justice, University Lutheran Ministries and the Yale NAACP.

Quote:
    "Robert Sanchez, a senior in Saybrook College, is a member of Coalition for Campus Unity. His opinion is endorsed by members of the following student organizations: Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, Black Students Alliance at Yale, Coalition for Campus Unity, Undergraduate Organizing Committee, Alianza, Yale Black Men’s Union, Yale Law Workers’ Rights Project, Muslim Students Association, Salt of the Earth, LGBT Co-Op, Jews for Justice, University Lutheran Ministries and the Yale NAACP."

The Truth about Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan.

Quote:
    Behind the respectable front of the National Council of La Raza lies the
    real agenda of the La Raza movement, the agenda that led to those thousands
    of illegal immigrants in the streets of American cities, waving Mexican
    flags, brazenly defying our laws, and demanding concessions.

Key among the secondary organizations is the radical racist group Movimiento
    Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, or Chicano Student Movement of Aztlan
    (MEChA), one of the most anti-American groups in the country, which has
    permeated U.S. campuses since the 1960s, and continues its push to carve a
    racist nation out of the American West.

One of America's greatest strengths has always been taking in immigrants
    from cultures around the world, and assimilating them into our country as
    Americans. By being citizens of the U.S. we are Americans first, and only,
    in our national loyalties.

This is totally opposed by MEChA for the hordes of illegal immigrants
    pouring across our borders, to whom they say:

"Chicano is our identity; it defines who we are as people. It rejects the
    notion that we…should assimilate into the Anglo-American melting
    pot…Aztlan was the legendary homeland of the Aztecas … It became
    synonymous with the vast territories of the Southwest, brutally stolen from
    a Mexican people marginalized and betrayed by the hostile custodians of the
    Manifest Destiny." (Statement on University of Oregon MEChA Website, Jan. 3,
    2006)

MEChA isn't at all shy about their goals, or their views of other races.
    Their founding principles are contained in these words in "El Plan
    Espiritual de Aztlan" (The Spiritual Plan for Aztlan):

"In the spirit of a new people that is conscious not only of its proud
    historical heritage but also of the brutal gringo invasion of our
    territories, we, the Chicano inhabitants and civilizers of the northern land
    of Aztlan from whence came our forefathers, reclaiming the land of their
    birth and consecrating the determination of our people of the sun, declare
    that the call of our blood is our power, our responsibility, and our
    inevitable destiny. … Aztlan belongs to those who plant the seeds, water
    the fields, and gather the crops and not to the foreign Europeans. … We
    are a bronze people with a bronze culture. Before the world, before all of
    North America, before all our brothers in the bronze continent, we are a
    nation, we are a union of free pueblos, we are Aztlan. For La Raza todo.
    Fuera de La Raza nada."

That closing two-sentence motto is chilling to everyone who values equal
    rights for all. It says: "For The Race everything. Outside The Race,
    nothing."

Quote:
    "All immigrants pay taxes, and in many ways offer more benefits to the United States, its labor force and its economy than they receive themselves. Tax payments from immigrants are consistently $20 to $30 billion more than the amount they receive in government services. As they find jobs in key sectors they contribute significantly to the U.S. economy as well as become members and allies of local workers’ unions. Since 1996, the percentage of foreign-born wage and salary workers in unions has risen from 8.9 to 12.3 percent in 2006"

Comment: It's strange that Mr. Sanchez lumps the legal and Illegal immigrants together when he makes the above statement,but the two paragraphs above,he calls them Undocumented? It would appear that he Chooses the times in his article that he calls them undocumented,Latino workers,Latino Immigrant Workers, Foreign-born and Immigrant workers. It's no wonder readers could get confused about who's he's talking about.If Mr. Sanchez is trying to say that all undocumented immigrants pay taxes then he is mistaken,It's a proven fact that they don't.Mr. Sanchez also needs to understand that there are hate groups on both sides of the undocumented immigrants issue.Just because some Americans oppose Amnesty and open borders does not make them Racists.The inscription at the base of the Statute of Liberty concludes, "I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" It says nothing about welcoming people who bypass our entry ports.