Elis lose heartbreaker to Big Green in N.H.

The men’s lacrosse team has struggled this season to hit its stride, and yesterday’s narrow loss to Dartmouth showed that the Elis are still lacking needed momentum.

The Elis (5-7, 1-4 Ivy) fell to the Big Green (5-6, 1-2 Ivy), 12-10, in Hanover, N.H. Despite their early lead, the Bulldogs let their offense and defense slip, allowing their opponents to overtake them. They played catch-up for the rest of the game, to no avail.

“It was very disappointing. We did not play as well as we could have on both sides of the fields,” attack Tyler Casertano ’08 said. “We did not come ready to play.”

The Bulldogs started off strong, opening with a goal by attackman Chris Kempner ’07 after a feed from attackman Dan Brillman ’06. Following two wide shots by midfielder David Schecter ’06 and Kempner, attacker Kyle Washabaugh ’08 grabbed a ground ball and sent it up the field to Schecter, who hit the net, leaving the Bulldogs up 2-0.

But the Elis could not keep up with Dartmouth’s offense. Casertano said Dartmouth took more shots because they dominated the ground balls throughout the game.

“They were able to create more possession for themselves in the middle of the field,” he said. “They won a majority of the ground balls ,which turned out to be the deciding factor.”

The Big Green closed in on the Bulldogs, finally evening up the game at 2-2. But after a Dartmouth turnover with 1:45 remaining, Brillman scored to return the lead to the Elis at the end of the first quarter.

Brillman and Kempner took the first two shots of the second quarter, but both fell short. The Big Green responded to knot the score at 3, but with 9:52 remaining, middie Brian Belsky ’07 scored with an assist from Brillman to put the Bulldogs up by one.

A penalty on Mark Schlam ’09 marked the turning point in the game. The Bulldogs gave up an extra-man opportunity to the Big Green, only to shut it down initially. But Dartmouth finally gained full possession and went on a three-goal rally to capture a 7-4 lead over Yale.

The Elis tried to come back with an attempt by Brillman, then a goal by Schecter with 0:26 remaining and finally a wide shot by Belsky.

Even though the Bulldogs went into halftime down by two goals, goalie George Carafides ’08 provided some highlights. He finished with eight saves in the first two quarters.

“George made three or four one-on-one saves,” long pole Gray Eklund ’06 said. “He had some very memorable saves.”

After the break, the Bulldogs put up a good fight, outshooting the Big Green, 11-7. Unfortunately for the Elis, attempts by Washabaugh, Brillman and Kempner failed to hit the net. Finally, midfielder Jonathan Koenig ’08 scored the first goal of the second half.

After Patrick Grimm ’08 grabbed two ground ball and standout rookie attack Michael Karwoski ’09, Casertano evened up the score on a feed from Washabaugh, but Dartmouth responded once again with two tallies to push ahead. The third quarter ended with the Elis still down, 10-9, despite goals by Belsky and Washabaugh.

In the fourth quarter, Lindsey hit the net to tie the game for the third time, but no luck seemed to be with the Elis. Their comeback was halted during the rest of the final frame, when the Bulldogs were held off the scoreboard while the Big Green took the game with two more goals.

With an important game at home against Harvard this Saturday, Casertano said the Bulldogs cannot afford to over-analyze the loss. Instead, he said, the Bulldogs need to move on and learn from their mistakes in order to get ready for what will likely be a tough and important game — and their last Ivy League game before the tournament. Brillman expressed similar sentiments.

“Harvard is the biggest game and everybody looks forward to it. We have to figure out a perfect game plan on Saturday in order to win,” Brillman said.

• GuyMontag

Gen. McChrystal wrote: “The key here is my desire to contribute in any way I can to helping America take care of Service members and their families. One measure of what kind of society we truly are is how we take care of those who serve us all — so to me that responsibility is sacred”

Sacred? McChrystal betrayed the Tillman family’s trust.

Just a couple weeks before the 7th anniversary of their son’s death, I’m sure the Tillman family isn’t too happy with yet another slap in their face by President Obama by the appointment of Gen. McChrystal as an advisor to “Joining Forces.” (see Mary Tillman’s foreword for her book “Boots on the Ground by Dusk” in the preview at blurb.com and interviews with the Tillman family in the documentary, “The Tillman Story”).

Ironically, it’s possible that Pat Tillman’s widow, Marie Tillman, may be working with this effort through her Pat Tillman foundation. She may be more willing to forgive and forget (or in the words of President Obama “we’re moving forward”).

In May 2004, it appears that Gen. McChrystal directed the writing of Pat Tillman’s fraudulent Silver Star and the cover-up of his friendly-fire death by the Ranger RGT officers . Over the next five years, the ensuing “investigations” were part of the bi-partisan whitewash which “exonerated” Gen. McChrystal and others involved of wrong-doing.

Ironcally, although CNAS will run the “Joining Forces” program along with Michelle Obama’s White House office, their Fellow Andrew Exum contributed to McChrystal’s whitewash with his biased book review of Jon Krakauer’s “Where Men Win Glory” (the updated paperback has much more detail on McChrystal’s role than the original hardcover).

Considering their past betrayal of the Tillman family, it appears that Gen. McChrystal and CNAS are a poor choice to run the “Joining Forces” program to take care of our military veterans.
    If you’re interested in supporting detail, see http://feralfirefighter.blogspot.com/2010/08/untold-tillman-story.html

• GuyMontag

In the foreword to the paperback edition of her book (at blurb.com), “Boots on the Ground by Dusk,” Mary Tillman wrote:

“McChrystal’s actions should have been grounds for firing. That is why it was so disturbing to us when President Obama instead promoted McChrystal to the position of top commander in Afghanistan last year. [On May 12th,] I had sent the President an email and a letter reminding him of McChrystal’s involvement in the cover-up of Pat’s death.”

“I had sent the President an email and a letter reminding him of McChrystal’s involvement in the cover-up of Pat’s death. In the letter, I suggested McChrystal should be “scrutinized very carefully” by the Senate Armed Services Committee. I also contacted the staffs of Senator Patrick Leahy and Senator James Webb and expressed my concerns. I had several conversations with members of the staffs of both senators, but it was clear that neither senator wanted to get involved.”

“… I had always believed Pat’s case was politically awkward for him [Senator McCain] and so he’d chosen to distance himself from the entire affair. … McCain was already publicly endorsing the McChrystal appointment before the hearing even began. … Sadly, McChrystal’s promotion had been sanctioned long before the hearing. None of the congressmen pressed McChrysal about Pat’s case … or detainee abuse and torture at Camp Nama …”

“Over the last five years, the Pentagon and Congress have had numerous opportunities to hold accountable those responsible for the cover-up of Pat’s death. Each time they’ve failed.”
    “The Tillman Story illustrates the corruption, deception, and indifference that is systemic in our government. … The cover-up of Pat’s death was orchestrated at the very highest levels of the Pentagon, and elsewhere in our government … the government didn’t just lie to us; it lied to a nation.”

• GuyMontag

P.S. Here’s some relevant interview excerpts from Amir Bar-Lev, the director of the documentary “The Tillman Story”:

“General McChrystal is just one of several high-ranking figures who’s never been called to account for his role, and the story continues to this very moment. He gets up there at his swearing-in [Senate confirmation hearing June 2, 2009] and basically says what has been said all along, which is, “I know what it looks like. I know that it looks like we deliberately covered it up, but believe us that it was this Rube Goldberg-esque chain of mistakes, blunders, and errors that look like a cover-up.”

“The only f—-ing idiots who buy that, the only fools who believe that, are the mainstream press. It’s just so clear to everyone else, and it’s the equivalent of saying, “Honey, I know that it looks like I’m f—-ing your sister, but actually I dropped my wallet, and then my belt fell down, and she happened to be there.” That’s what the military has done in the Pat Tillman case.”

“The public perception is that (the Tillmans) have been apologized to over and over again … it’s ludicrous,” Bar-Lev said. “The idea there was a mistake is itself a lie. It’s a Rube Goldberg explanation. They (the military officials) say there was never any deliberate attempt to deceive anybody.” … “How somebody can get away with a lie that’s worse than ‘the dog ate my homework’ and that he would be put in charge of the war effort is ridiculous.”

” Listen, it’s not a complicated answer. No one in the government has ever admitted that there was a cover-up, and to watch the contortions that these public figures go to in order to publicly flagellate themselves without admitting what’s pretty obvious to everybody — that they tried to cover up Pat Tillman’s death — is absurd.”

See summary of Bar-Lev’s interviews at http://www.feralfirefighter.blogspot.com