A Calhoun College sophomore was arrested on rape charges early Saturday morning.

Gregory Korb ’08 was arrested by University Police at 4 a.m. and charged with sexual assault in the first degree, Yale Police Lt. Michael Patten said. Although Patten declined to elaborate on the crime, a person is charged with sexual assault in the first degree when the offender coerces another person into sexual intercourse with the use of either physical force or verbal threats, according to the Connecticut State Statutes on sex crimes.

Korb was also charged with assault in the second degree and unlawful restraint in the first degree. Patten said he cannot release any information at the current time that might identify the alleged victim, including whether the complainant was a Yale student or where the alleged crime occurred.

Korb was taken to jail and later arraigned in New Haven Superior Court, where he was released on a $50,000 bond, a court clerk said. New Haven attorney William Dow, who is representing Korb, said his client will plead not guilty.

“Allegations are easily made, especially in cases of this nature,” Dow said. “Experience has taught people who are familiar with the judicial process that these cases are easily alleged but difficult to prove.”

Patten said University Police respond to cases of sexual assault approximately once a year. The department reported five forcible sex offenses on campus in 2003, the last year statistics were available. Forcible sex offenses include rape and crimes like forcible fondling.

When police receive a call about an incident of sexual assault, Patten said, a patrol officer responds immediately to the situation.

“Our first concern is the well-being of the person,” he said. “We usually transport the person to a medical facility.”

Following the incident, the police investigate to get basic facts and try to make an apprehension if possible, Patten said.

Yale administrators declined to comment on the specifics of the case, but University spokesman Tom Conroy said that Yale works to maintain a safe and secure campus environment.

“Criminal acts on the parts of students are not tolerated,” he said. “As the undergraduate regulations state, membership in Yale College confers no exemption from the law.”

Dean of Student Affairs Betty Trachtenberg said the University’s response to such situations varies on a case-by-case basis.

“Sometimes it’s an Ex-Comm case, sometimes it’s a court case,” she said. “It varies with the situation and the people and what they want to do.”

Korb’s next court date is scheduled for Sept. 13.