“What happens when the team is no longer?” 

Each time an athlete’s sneaker hits the court or their cleats pound against the turf, the beat sinks up to their heartbeat and their mentality changes. Their world changes. 

For many high schoolers athletics is an escape from their anxieties or problems, whether this be at home, academically, or mentally. But in others, athletics presents challenges instead of relieving them. 

Kristen Wich is a former college athlete and current Assistant Director of Athletics at Hopkins School. Overseeing hundreds of high school athletes, she emphasizes the role of sports in youth identity. But she also notes challenges from her own experience.  

“Sports gave me my identity for most of my life. The hardest part was after graduation when I found myself not on a team for the first time in my life” … “ It was like I lost my identity and I had to work to figure out who I was” Wich shared. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states: mental health impacts “how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices.”  The youth sports landscape is unique in that it can lead to a strong and important community. While this is true for many young athletes, this same community can be draining, both mentally and physically. 

Micah Betts, a rising sophomore on the basketball and track team, emphasizes this dichotomy. For Betts, difficulty develops “because I’m younger than a lot of the kids and I’m also shorter so I look down on my appearance and it holds me back sometimes.”

He also notes the importance of a healthy athletic environment, saying “In certain sports, like track, where I’m the only one on the field,  I’m forced to only think about myself at the moment.  So me using athletics as an escape versus escaping from it is generally dictated by whether it’s a team environment or not.”

Wich heavily emphasizes the role coaches have in creating a healthy athletic environment.

“Mindset drills need to be as much a part of a practice plan as anything else” … “I try to be careful not to settle for mediocrity or accept losing, but work hard to understand what motivates players to continue to strive for excellence.”

Another leader at Hopkins, Owen O’Neil, coaches the soccer, basketball, and lacrosse teams. He too underscores the impact of a good coach.  

Every day before practice, it’s important to take your team and athletes’ mental health into planning the day’s lessons. It is helpful to consider what may have taken place during the school day, or at home, and what pressures the athletes may be experiencing. It’s a fine balance between pushing the athletes to excel without pushing them too hard, or adding to their stress.” 

Scott Wich, head adviser for the class of 2024 is both a history teacher and assistant coach for the football and lacrosse teams.  He adds the importance of coaches and how they can help players develop and excel.

Good coaches like the ones I had here as a student–which I try to be now that I’m a coach–are the ones who are able to both push their athletes to develop their skills and maximize their contributions to the team, while also understanding and contextualizing the mental health and mindset of each athlete.” … “That’s very different from the ‘drill sergeant’ model of coaching that was more prevalent in the past and is widely (and unfairly) believed to still be the stereotype of coaches today.”

One rising sophomore, Maeve Klatell, starts for her soccer, basketball, and lacrosse teams. Interestingly, Klatell noted an often overlooked aspect of sports: “It’s refreshing to get outside” (though a bit more difficult in the winter). 

Part of the reason for enjoying those fall and spring sports could be due to the weather. The Franklin County Public Health states that “Exercising outdoors isn’t just good for your physical health. It helps with your mental health as well.” 

Another female athlete Veronica Vece discusses her relationship with athletics. Veronica plays an extremely male-dominated sport, football. She works to excel in football (while also playing basketball and lacrosse, in which she is a starting player). Vece also discusses similar experiences of pushing past boundaries; “I would say that I do often push myself past my boundaries in sports. If I am on the field or the court and I’m injured, I keep on playing until the end of the half or the quarter or until I’m subbed out.” … “If I’m not in serious pain then I keep on playing.”

Vece discusses the love she holds for football, also mentioning some of the challenges she faces; “Being one of only two females on the football team for two years and counting has been a new and interesting experience. I haven’t been affected negatively, because it was honestly fun to be playing a new sport.” … “Sometimes, however, I would find myself comparing my athletic abilities to my teammates, and end up disappointed because I didn’t think I had enough potential to be an important player on the team.” 

It is important to note how a strong passion for sports and the passionate strive athletes have can affect them physically and mentally. 

The experiences of these athletes illustrate the challenges of pursuing excellence. For Olivia Mokotoff, a volleyball, basketball and tennis starter, athletics is all about navigating personal limits. She’s now come to realize that pushing herself to the brink might not be the best approach.

“If I still continue to give my best effort I will be constantly improving.” … “Athletics allows you to push yourself to your limits but also push you past what you think your limits are eventually. Athletics can also push you beyond your limits which is another negative impact on your mental health. When this does eventually happen I usually will force myself to to take a step back and understand that I’m trying my best and doing the best I can for now, while still understanding that if I still continue to give my best effort I will be constantly improving.” To any high school athlete reading this, this quote can help you succeed and continue improving while recognizing your limits.

Everyone interviewed for this article is affiliated with Hopkins School. Hopkins School was founded in 1660.