Yates signs with Richmond as a graduate transfer

Courtesy Steve Musco

As Yale’s senior class prepares for graduation on Monday, most graduates plan to spend the coming years doing something vastly different than they did in college. But for Yale men’s basketball journeyman Noah Yates ’18, the next year or two will resemble his time in New Haven.

The University of Richmond announced Wednesday that Yates has signed with the Spiders as a graduate transfer. Yates will not have to sit out a season and is expected to have two years of eligibility, according to Richmond Athletics.

The Yale senior will pursue an advanced degree in Finance from Richmond’s business school, according to the athletic department’s release. According to Richmond Athletics, Yates received interest from more than a dozen Division I programs before choosing to play for the Spiders.

Yates will compete in the Atlantic 10, a conference that received three bids to the NCAA Tournament last season. The Spiders went 9–9 in the conference last year and tied for fifth in the standings. Yates’ new team has had national success in the last decade, making a run to the Sweet Sixteen in 2011.

Yates walked on to the Yale basketball team ahead of the 2016–17 season — his junior year —  after getting recruited to play football for the Bulldogs. An elbow injury suffered in high school prevented him from playing meaningful minutes on the gridiron in college, and Yale’s 2016 NCAA Tournament run inspired Yates, whose basketball team won a state championship in high school, to switch sports.

During his junior year the future Spider played in 11 games. The walk-on became a critical piece of head coach James Jones’ rotation during his senior season, appearing in all 31 games while averaging 5.4 points and 2.9 rebounds per game.

Yates joins several graduating student athletes who will compete at other universities next year as graduate transfers, including teammate Makai Mason ’18 and women’s cross country captain Kelli Reagan ’18. Mason and Reagan will continue their careers Baylor and Notre Dame, respectively.