Softball suffers second winless weekend

By Matthew Mister | Posted on, 11:51 p.m.
Allison Skinner '18 (Courtesy Steve Musco)

After opening the season with four losses, the Yale softball team had several opportunities this weekend to post its first win of the season. But the Bulldogs went 0–4 for the second straight weekend despite holding a lead in three of their games in Durham, North Carolina.

Yale opened play against Kent State. The Elis struck early, scoring two runs in the first inning. Annie Tarte ’20 got Yale off to the quick start, recording the first of her game-high three hits on the first at bat of the game. Batting second, Olivia Vinyard ’20 bunted her way on base, and both came around to score later in the inning with Sydney Grobman ’21 and Allison Skinner ’18 recording the RBIs.

Terra Jerpbak ’19 pitched the entire innings, giving up just three runs and striking out six batters. However, Kent State secured a walk-off double with one out in the seventh inning to take the first game of the weekend.

Later on Friday, Yale went to extra innings against the hometown Blue Devils. Duke won 4–3 in the ninth inning, despite trailing the Elis 3–1 for most of the game. Yale got all three runs in the second inning. Tarte again provided the spark for Yale, batting in two of those runs as part of a second three-hit performance for the sophomore.

The Bulldogs returned to the field on Saturday, but fell to Lehigh and North Dakota State 7–2 and 3–0, respectively. A six-run fifth inning for Lehigh doomed the Bulldogs in the first game and North Dakota State’s KK Leddy pitched a shutout in the second to keep Yale out of the win column.

Jerpbak provided a lone bright spot again on Saturday, going seven innings with another six strikeouts against North Dakota State.

Although Yale dropped its first seven games last year, this year’s 0–8 start is the program’s worst since 2010. However, the 2010 Elis went on to win four of their next five after the slow start to the year.

The 2018 team will have the chance to do just the same as it travels to College Park, Maryland next weekend to take on the Miami (Ohio), Jacksonville, Utah and the hosting Terrapins at the Maryland Invitational. Play begins Friday with an afternoon contest against the Redhawks.