Quinnipiac ends Yale’s season with series sweep

By Jane Miller | Posted on, 10:03 p.m.
Forward Kevin O'Neil '21 (Courtesy Steve Musco)

After a disappointing loss to Quinnipiac Friday night, the Yale men’s hockey team saw another defeat to its cross-town rivals on Saturday as well. Outshot and outplayed offensively, the Bulldogs fell 4–1 to the Bobcats.

Led by sharp play in the goal from goaltender Corbin Kaczperski ’20, the Yale defense kept Quinnipiac off the scoreboard during the first period despite trailing 11–6 in shots on goal. The Bulldog defense continued to perform, successfully killing off a Bobcat power play while defender Anthony Walsh ’19 sat in the penalty box.

Entering the second period, the Bulldogs and the Bobcats were still locked in a scoreless game. However, with Yale defender Phil Kemp ’21 in the box, Quinnipiac assumed the power play and took full advantage of its extra player. Just one second before Kemp’s release back onto the ice, defender Chase Priskie scored on an assist from fellow defender John Furgele.

The Bobcat momentum continued with a second goal just moments later. This shot came from the stick of first-year phenom Odeen Tufto with a little over eight minutes remaining in the middle period. Despite a power play opportunity of its own, Yale couldn’t manage to find the back of the net throughout the first 40 minutes of play and trailed 2–1 heading into the final frame.

The third period saw Yale produce a few good looks, including a fast break from forward Joe Snively ’19, but the Bulldogs could not find the back of the net. On the other side of the ice, Quinnipiac sealed the deal with a third goal with just under 10 minutes to play. Despite video review regarding a potential offsides on the Bobcats, the call was confirmed and Quinnipiac assumed the three-goal lead thanks to defender Brogan Rafferty.

With just under seven minutes to play, first-year forward Kevin O’Neil ’21 scored his third goal in as many games to finally put Yale on the scoreboard. Straight off the bench, the Latham, New York native got the puck at center ice and skated straight past Bobcat defenders, firing the puck past Petruzelli.

Once again, the clock was not on Yale’s side as it struggled to produce offense in the final minutes. Forced to pull Kaczperski for another player on offense, Yale allowed another Quinnipiac empty-net goal, it’s second of the weekend.

The 4–1 Quinnipiac win knocked Yale out of the ECAC tournament, ending the 2017–18 season for the Bulldogs.