Staenz ’17 Scores in Pyeongchang

By Angela Xiao | Posted on, 10:37 p.m.

Yale men’s hockey coach Keith Allain ’80 is not the only Bulldog in Pyeongchang making waves — Phoebe Staenz ’17 netted a game-winning goal for the Swiss Olympic team in their 2–1 victory on Wednesday against Team Sweden. The tally brings her total goals at the 2018 Olympics to three, after she scored twice in Switzerland’s Saturday victory over Team Unified Korean.

Staenz, a forward in Ezra Stiles College when she played for the Elis, is a Swiss national and a graduate of Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, CT. At Choate, she earned the distinction of League MVP and a Boston Globe All-Scholastic pick.

Staenz had a storied career at Yale. She was named ECAC Rookie of the Year in the 2013–2014 season and was named First-Team All Ivy in her senior season. She closed out her career in the blue and white tied for seventh on Yale’s career goals list, with 41, and eighth on the Bulldogs’ career points.

On Wednesday, Staenz’s goal clinched the top spot in Group B for the Swiss women as they advance to the quarterfinals on Saturday. The Yale alum is playing in her second Olympics, having earned a bronze medal with Team Switzerland in Sochi in 2014. In the bronze-medal game, Staenz scored the game-tying goal, allowing her team to eventually overcome Sweden 4–3 and earn the nation’s first medal in women’s hockey.

Team Switzerland next plays in its quarterfinal match on Saturday.