Yale crushes Princeton 7–2

By Jane Miller | Posted on, 11:05 p.m.
Courtesy Jack Warhola

After a monumental one-goal win over Quinnipiac on Friday, the Bulldog offense was unstoppable against two separate Princeton goaltenders in Saturday night’s conference matchup at Ingalls Rink.

Yale jumped out to an early 3–0 lead within six minutes of the puck dropping in Saturday night’s contest against Princeton. Forward Evan Smith ’20 lit the lamp just 1:45 into the game from the far left of the Tigers’ goaltender Ryan Ferland. Before Princeton had time to collect itself, Yale’s leading scorer, forward Joe Snively ’19, saw success on a fast break when he beat his defender and slid the puck past Ferland to make the score 2–0.

After Smith tallied the third goal on Yale’s ninth shot, Princeton pulled Ferland from the goal in place of senior Ben Hartford, who has not played a full game in net for the Tigers in the 2017–18 season. Yale looked smooth and in control, although neither team managed to score for the rest of the frame and the shots on goal stood at a mere 11–7 with the Elis boasting the advantage.

It was not until late in the second period that Princeton responded offensively. For the first 10 minutes of the middle frame, Yale goaltender Corbin Kaczperski ’20 made a handful of key saves to maintain the 3–0 score. Still, with nine minutes remaining in the frame the Tigers’ offense had evened out the shots on goal at 15. After defender Adam Larkin ’18 and Princeton’s David Hallisey were both sent to the box for roughing, the Tigers capitalized and forward Eric Robinson scored on Kaczperski for Princeton’s first goal of the night.

The Tigers cut the deficit even further just seconds later with a goal from Alex Riche with under three minutes remaining in the middle period. As the clock wound down towards the final 20 minutes of play, Princeton held a 23–16 lead in shots on goal but the Bulldogs retained the lead.

Although Princeton won the opening faceoff of the final frame, it was the Bulldogs who dominated the rest of the game. Smith completed a hat trick during a fast break just under 90 seconds into the third period, extending the Bulldogs’ lead and resulting in Yale fans throwing hats onto the ice in applause. After trading shots back and forth, Snively was the next to score, tallying his second goal of the night on another fast break that displayed his quickness on the ice.

Although trailing by seven in shots on goal, the Bulldogs held a three-goal lead with under 10 minutes to play and Yale’s offensive control continued when forward Robbie DeMontis ’20 found Snively on yet another fastbreak. The five-foot-seven forward got a stick on DemMontis’ pass and completed the Elis’ second hat trick of the night, giving Yale a comfortable four-goal lead. After defender Chandler Lindstrand ’20 headed to the box, Princeton pulled its goaltender to assume a 6–4 player advantage, but Yale’s penalty kill unit showed why it ranks first in the nation in shorthanded goals as Smith wristed a rocket across the ice to score an empty-netter.

Yale took home the 7–2 victory over its Ivy foes to complete its second four-point weekend of the season.