Bulldogs land 20 on All-Ivy teams

By Joey Kamm | Posted on, 8:39 p.m.
Yale won the Ivy League championship outright in 2017–18.

As if the Yale football team needed another feather in its cap following an immensely successful fall campaign, the Bulldogs landed a whopping 20 players on the 2017–18  All-Ivy teams.

Freshman running back Zane Dudek ’21 headlined the Elis plethora of all-conference picks by unanimously winning the Rookie of Year award along with a spot on the All-Ivy First Team. The 5-foot-9 tailback led the Ancient Eight with 16 touchdowns and 1,345 all-purpose yards in his first season of college football while averaging 7.1 yards per carry.

Two large reasons for his success, offensive tackles Jon Bezney ’18 and Karl Marback ’18, joined Dudek on the First-Team, after anchoring an offensive line which led the Ancient Eight in rushing offense and conceded just 12 sacks on the season. Tight end Jaeden Graham ’18 also earned a spot on the First-Team following a senior campaign in which he led all Ivy League tight ends in receptions, touchdowns, and receiving yards.

Yale’s elite front seven — which ranked fourth overall in the Football Championship Subdivision in sacks  and was the best rush defense in the Ancient Eight — produced a pair of First-Team selections in defensive lineman John Herubin ’18 and linebacker Matthew Oplinger ’18. In the secondary, safety Hayden Carlson ’18 earned First-Team accolades after leading the Ivy League in overall passes defended and snagging three interceptions, while captain and cornerback Spencer Rymiszewski ’18 was named to the First–Team for the second time in his career.

Elsewhere for the Bulldogs, right guard Anders Huizenga ’18, center Sterling Strother ’20, wide receiver Chris Williams–Lopez ’18, defensive end Charles Callender ’20, defensive end Kyle Mullen ’19, linebacker Foyesade Oluokun ’18 and punter Alex Galland ’19 were all named to the All-Ivy Second-Team. Rounding out the Honorable Mention selections for Yale were left guard Dieter Eiselen ’20, quarterback Kurt Rawlings ’20, running back Deshawn Salter ’20, cornerback Malcolm Dixon ’20, and safety Jason Alessi ’18.

Yale will return eight of its 20 All-Ivy picks for the 2018 season.