Kyle Mullen named captain of Team 146

By Won Jung | Posted on, 8:49 p.m.
Defensive end Kyle Mullen '19 was named captain of Team 146.

Defensive end Kyle Mullen ’19 has been named captain of the 146th Yale Football team, just two days after Team 145 defeated Harvard 24–3 to notch its first outright Ivy League championship in 37 years.

“There’s a standard of work ethic that we’ve left,” linebacker Matt Oplinger ’18 said. “I know Mullen is a guy that lives and breathes everything it takes to be a great person, a great football player, a great leader. So, I know for a fact that he’s going to uphold all those things.”

Mullen started all 10 games of the 2017 season and served as an integral member of perhaps the Bulldogs’ most dominant unit on the field. The Yale defensive line led the Football Championship Subdivision for several weeks in total sacks and sacks per game before finishing their title campaign in fourth place in both categories.

The Manalapan, New Jersey native finished his junior season with 4.5 sacks and 32 tackled to build on a sophomore campaign that earned him All-Ivy Honorable Mention honors. Mullen will be called upon to recreate the lofty standard of play and character that his predecessor, cornerback Spencer Rymiszewski ’18, leaves behind.

Including Mullen, six of the seven captains during head coach Tony Reno’s tenure have been defensive players.