Elis fall to Quinnipiac in shutout

By Jane Miller | Posted on, 11:04 a.m.

Although the Yale men’s hockey team kept the score within one goal for almost half of the contest against its crosstown rival, Quinnipiac dished two late goals to come away with a 3–0 shutout.

The Bobcats (4–5–1, 1–4–0 ECAC Hockey) handed Yale (3–5–0, 3–5–0) its first two-loss weekend on Saturday night in Hamden after the Bulldogs had already fallen to Princeton on Friday. The win also marked the fifth consecutive victory for Quinnipiac in this matchup.

Despite spending six of the frame’s 20 minutes in the penalty box, the Bulldogs’ penalty kill unit successfully kept the Bobcats out of the Yale goal during the first period. Yale goaltender Sam Tucker ’19 saved 13 shots including one penalty shot that occurred after defender Matt Foley ’20 was assessed a penalty for tripping. Offensively, the Elis failed to capitalize on a few close looks in the opening frame, which remained scoreless.

Just under three minutes into the second period, Quinnipiac defender Brogan Rafferty finally opened the game’s scoring when he fired a shot from nearly mid ice that Tucker failed to get a glove on. This tally was the Illinois native’s first goal of the season and gave the Bobcats a one-goal lead they would maintain throughout the middle frame and well into the final period. Once again, Yale’s defense was tested as Quinnipiac outshot the Bulldogs 19–6 for the second 20 minutes of play. Tucker and the defense showed their strength as they managed to kill off eighteen Quinnipiac power plays while Tucker posted a total of 40 saves on the night.

Throughout the third period Yale’s offense worked tirelessly to decrease the deficit. Captain and forward Ryan Hitchcock ’18 and forwards Joe Snively ’19 and Dante Palecco ’21 saw multiple fast breaks and close shots, but could not replicate last weekend’s scoring. Quinnipiac goaltender Andrew Shortridge had a perfect game, saving 30 shots for the shutout as he thwarted the Elis goal attempts.

Wwith just five minutes to play, Quinnipiac added another goal to its lead. Forward Craig Martin scored the Bobcats’ second goal of the night, assisted by defender Kevin Mckernan. Forty-one seconds later, Quinnipiac scored its third and final goal of the night. Still powered by momentum from the previous play, Bobcat forward Thomas Aldworth slid the puck past Tucker to further increase the comfortable, two-goal lead.

As the clock wound down, the Bulldogs had no answer for their opponents goals and the score remained 3–0 at the buzzer. This marked the Bulldogs’ second loss in as many games, after falling 4–5 to Princeton on Friday night.

Yale plays just a single game next weekend, hosting New Hampshire on Saturday at Ingalls Rink.