Elis fall to No. 11 Clarkson

By Jane Miller | Posted on, 10:18 p.m.

After a dominant 6–1 win over St. Lawrence on Friday night, the Yale men’s hockey team split another weekend series by falling 4–1 to Clarkson on Saturday. 

For the majority of the opening period, the Bulldogs and Golden Knights fought back and forth on the ice, with neither team seeing any offensive success. But with just under three minutes left in the frame, Eli forward Dante Palecco ’21 scored his fourth goal of the weekend to open up scoring and give Yale a 1–0 lead. As the first 20 minutes drew to a close, the Bulldogs led their nationally-ranked opponent by a single goal.

Just 2:46 into the second frame, the Golden Knights’ forward Josh Dickinson equalized the score with a shot sent past Yale goaltender Sam Tucker ’19. Clarkson continued to dominate play in the second period, as it outshot the Elis 11–4. Just over six minutes into the middle period, Clarkson gained the lead when its leading scorer, forward Sheldon Rempal, found the back of the net on an assist from fellow forward Devin Brosseau. On the following play, the Golden Knights scored once again, gaining a solid 3–1 advantage just 37 seconds after their second goal.

Yale had multiple  fast break opportunities throughout the second and third periods but failed to get the puck past Golden Knights’ goaltender Jake Kielly. The closest Eli attempt came when leading scorer and forward Joe Snively ’19 had a breakaway midway through the third period; his effort was thwarted again by Kielly, who saved a total 27 shots on the night.

When defender Billy Sweezey ’20 headed to the box to serve a two-minute holding penalty with just over six minutes to play, Clarkson took advantage of the power play opportunity to score another goal. Defender Terrance Amorosa scored for the Golden Knights to capture the 4–1 lead. As the final minutes of the contest wound down, the Bulldogs continued to look for scoring opportunities but could not capitalize on any looks.

No. 11 Clarkson defeated the Elis by three goals to solidify its two-win weekend after beating Brown on Friday night.