Bulldogs demolish woeful Bears

By Won Jung and Joey Kamm | Posted on, 12:09 a.m.
Defensive back Jason Alessi '18 had one of two Bulldog interceptions against Brown.

The Yale football team’s fifth-ever Friday night game was all but decided one quarter into the contest.

With last-place Brown slated to take on the Ivy League-leading Elis in New Haven, not many people expected a close contest. But a 34–7 final may have been even more lopsided than most predicted. After the Bears all but acknowledged their slim chances at victory by opening the game with a trick-play reverse end-around, Team 145 put the game away with a dominant all-around performance.

“I was happy with the guys and how intentional they were all week,” head coach Tony Reno said. “They prepared really well and were focused … We had a lull there in the second quarter, but I challenged them at halftime, and they came back out in the second half and did a really nice job of putting the game away.”

On Yale’s second offensive play of the game, running back Zane Dudek ’21 sprinted 68 yards to the end zone to give the Elis an early 6–0 lead. In his first game as the Bulldogs’ feature back, the first year showed off his electric speed on the opening score. Following one of nine punts by Brown in the game, the Bulldogs continued to impose their will on offense as quarterback Kurt Rawlings ’20 connected with wide receiver JP Shohfi ’20 for a 21-yard touchdown on the ensuing drive.

Both players would find the end zone again later in the first half as Dudek scored on a 36-yard run and Shohfi caught an underneath route before racing 83 yards for a touchdown. With a 27–0 lead coming out of halftime, Yale kept its foot on the gas as Dudek scored his third touchdown of the night on a seven-yard carry to give the Bulldogs a 34–0 lead. From that point on, the Elis used a combination of reserve players on both sides of the ball to run out the clock and leave the Yale Bowl with a dominating victory 34–7 following a late score by Brown.

The defense kept Brown scoreless for 58 minutes of play, but finally surrendered a touchdown in the closing moments of the game with its second unit on the field. Nevertheless, Team 145’s strong pass rush applied constant pressure to Brown quarterback Thomas Linta. Linta was hit repeated as he released the ball, resulting in effective drive after ineffective drive. Defensive backs Jason Alessi ’18 and Spencer Rymiszewski ’18 also contributed an interception each to the defensive effort.

With the win, Yale moves to 4–1 in the Ivy League with matchups against Princeton and Harvard left on the schedule.