Superfly makes SportsCenter Top 10

By Matthew Mister | Posted on, 8:40 p.m.
Courtesy Seamus Joyce-Johnson '19

The Yale men’s ultimate team—nicknamed Superfly—traveled to Cornell two weekends ago looking to solidify its roster ahead of its main season in the spring. But the team walked away from the Cayuga Classic with not only experience ahead of the spring, but also a nationally-televised highlight.

Over 75 minutes into the quarterfinal of the two-day tournament, Yale led Boston University 11–9 and needed just one more score to clinch the victory. Captain Sam Feder ’19 possessed the disc a little over midfielder and launched it towards the endzone, seemingly out of reach of the sprinting Theo Kuhn ’18. But with an all-out dive, Kuhn came down with the disc.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/SuperflyUltimate/videos/1960825207474126/

“There was definitely an element of confidence that [Kuhn] would get there,” Feder said. “[I threw it] a lot farther than I thought it would be. The execution of the throw was bad, but Theo being Theo, he made an amazing play and got the disc.”

The game-winning score was featured as the sixth-best play on ESPN’s SportsCenter Top 10 on Oct. 26, giving the team all the momentum it needs heading into its winter workouts and the spring season.

The fall season is not as competitive as the spring because games do not affect teams’ national rankings, but Yale still faced tough play in Ithaca. The team qualified for Sunday’s bracket round by going 2–2 on Saturday. After defeating Boston University, Superfly fell to eventual-champion Cornell in the semifinal, but defeated SUNY-Albany in the third-place game.

According to Feder, the team’s goal for the season is to qualify for Nationals for the first time since the late 1990s.